feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

Here's an update:

Not too much going on with it at this point in time. Everything is stable, but not completely happy with PO4 levels. It's not too bad... 0.06 on my Hanna. NO3 undetectable. I need to add some fish, but I'm holding out until I can find exactly what I want. I have somewhat of a fish list. I'll disclose that in time. I do have a few sticks in the tank currently - RR Aussie Gold and Jason Fox Sour Twist. I have a few more frags coming Saturday.

Alk 9
Calc 425
Mg 1345
Sal 1.026
pH usually stays around 7.8 - 7.9
temp 77 - 77.8

I have not had issues with needing to refill ATO reservoir more than once a week even in the summer.

Currently not using my dosers to maintain Alk and Calc since nothing is really using them up to the extent I need them yet. I've been relying on weekly water changes for this, but they are ready to go once I need them. Just need to calc dosages and code up the loop and set the outlets to auto.

So far no signs of problems with my Alk as is. The acro frags have only been in the tank a couple weeks, but I am seeing growth and so on. I'm contemplating making further adjustments to my lighting. I've bumped the fuge light up to 12hr schedule to match the display so their on reverse schedules. Growing red gracilaria and chaeto. I swapped the powerhead in the fuge out for a nano 240. The pico didn't last long.

I got tired of the problems with my lights missing from the Apex and decided to set them up independent to the Apex. Never had any issues with my MP40, just the lights. I've been through all the stuff Neptune has suggested and it continued. I got tired of troubleshooting on a "production box". I love Neptune's stuff, but I'm not fond of problematic issues that can't seem to be resolved. I'm not gonna kick any company around over it. If the problem is ever completely resolved I wouldn't might going back to controlling the Radion from the Apex just for consistency and ease of access. I have to get the laptop out and connect it via USB to make changes to the Radion the way I have things set up currently.

Seeing my lights turning off randomly through the day was rather annoying to me and the 'inmates'.
Most of the sponges have died off which I kind of expected from other people's experiences. The ball sponge and gorgs are still doing great. I might have to frag the gorgs at some point.

For the most part aside from taking forever to remove a mantis shrimp I overlooked that hitchhiked in I've just been maintaining the tank and letting it mature.

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a short issue with a PO4 spike. I contribute that to some red gracilaria i added to the tank that ended up melting. I had some reservations about putting it in the fuge. It didn't look so healthy when I got it. No worry... now we're back to UNL issues. Undetectable NO3 and PO4... so I've been dosing aminos and some other stuff from KZ and feeding daily. The corals are starting to color up. Most didn't lose any color or anything, but the JF Sour Twist and RR Aussie Gold did brown out a little. They were the first 2 in when I started stocking sticks. Can definitely see the green and purple/blue tips coming back on the JF and the RR Aussie Gold is showing good signs too.

Really need to get some more fish in the tank. However, I did get a few more frags. The last ones I got so far have held their color pretty well.

So coming Tuesday I'll have a Cherry Corals Bubble Bee milli, Seasons Greetings monti, Pinkie Milli, and an Orange Setosa.

Currently in the tank:
RR Aussie Gold
JF Sour Twist
CC Retina Blaster
Sully Blue Tenuis
Tyree Pink Lemonade
CC Kick@$$ Horrida

Still want a few more things for lower light areas and such, but due to the UNL state I think it's best to find some floating 'nitrate factories' to make my life a little easier and help make the water 'dirty'.

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far things are stable... colors are looking good.

I've been dosing a few KZ products for a while and like the results.
Still need more fish... and some more corals.
Lost a float switch this week. So ordering replacements... no big deal. I had a failsafe so things didn't get out of whack. I do plan to replace both and get another spare.

Pics coming soon...

OP
OP
feh

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had to turn on the doser pumps... everything seems stable.
So far dosers have had no issues maintaining levels.

Did have an Alk spike which I contribute to a large water change after scrubbing out the sump. I believe this may have been what caused my WWC Moonshine to RTN over night. The next morning when observing the tank it was bright white when the lights came on. No other causalities, so I find it odd. So lesson learned... don't be lazy and skip the parm tests on new water before making water changes in a stick dominant box.

I was have a little bit of an issue with red turf algae.
Added 2 mexican turbo snails which are so far keeping things in line. I'm hoping the fuge algae will eventually starve that out along with the help of the snails.

I swapped out the ATO with a Smart nano. The penny sized sensor is nice and it seems to work quit well. I do wish it was capable of being integrated with my Apex. To get around that I'm still using the float switches as a means for alerting if the water level gets too high or too low in the sump. These switches are tested weekly via Apex code. So far I really like the Smart ATO. The matchbook size pump is nice. I was able to fish it into my ATO container with no issues with out modifying the sump or container.

I did cut my lighting hours from 12 to 9 recently and bumped the intensity 5% from my old programming.

I am seeing shadowing issues with the lighting. I've been contemplating the best approach to resolving this.
Currently the fixture is perfectly level over the tank. I'm tossing around the idea of changing this to a nice angle to try and get around the problem or replacing the fixture.
Other than that I've had no complaints with the fixture beyond having to remove control and configuration from the Apex due to the known issue with communication with Radions and the WXM module.
Ever since doing so the color in my corals has improved quite a bit. I'm still 100% happy with the color yet, but who ever really is with their own?

Along with the 2 turbos I added a few nass snails since I didn't have any in the tank, and a skunk cleaner shrimp to help add to the bio-load some and along with it's other benefits. I'm still shopping for the next fish addition. Will add the next as soon as I find one to my liking available.

Current fish list:

Helfrichi firefish
Yellow Watchman Goby
Starry Blenny - I think. (hitchhiker believe it or not)
Yellow Stripe Possum Wrasse

No new corals since adding a few zoas.

Anyway quick iPhone pic taken Sunday shortly after lights came on (see attached) after the turbo snails had been in the tank for a week. At this point the turf algae is practically gone and I'm concerned about feeding this guys. They are still grazing on the rocks for now.

tank.jpg

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say very beautiful aquarium and set up , the Reef Savvy Cube looks amazing , i got a quote from them of a 60 cube makes me really want to do that as my upgrade lol

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back