Rock Flower Anemone Minimum Tank Size and Questions

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I have been kicking around the idea of setting up a 2 gallon Pico tank, and have been thinking about what I’d stock it with. I’m newly intrigue by Rock Flower Anemones, and my thought was to make this 2 gallon a RFA dominate tank. However, I have learned that many RFA’s can reach 6-8” in diameter. That seems entirely too big for a 2 gallon tank that measures 8”x8”x8”. My question is what is the smallest tank recommended for a small group of RFA’s? I do have other tanks, this was just an idea for a potential Pico tank.

And do you have any suggestions on where to purchase Rock Flower Anemones?

Thank you for your help!

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think the main concern with a tank that size is keeping the parameters relatively stable, but that would hold true regardless of the inhabitants. RFAs are relatively hardy.

I have not seen a RFA in captivity reach that size, but perhaps it is more common in the wild. I think it is rather rare for them to exceed 4-5” in captivity.

My RFAs came from Riptide Aquaculture & Hellfire Frags - I would recommend both from my experience. However, it seems many vendors carry RFAs nowadays.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the fast reply guys! OK, I read that some of them get that big, but maybe I read wrong, and that’s why I asked ;-) If I do this, the RFA’s would definitely be the star of the tank. Are they not typically very small when you buy them, like an inch or so? I’d like to have a few at least, if possible.

Any thoughts on where to get them?

And I know I‘m proposing a very small tank (Which I’ve never done before, my last reef tank was a 125 gallon!). Are there any other tank mates that I could keep with the ‘Nemes? I’d like some movement in the tank. Maybe a Euphyillia frag, or maybe a shrimp, crab, or *something* that moves. Is that possible, or would the RFA’s sting other inhabitants?

I posted this question yesterday under the Nano section of reef2reef, but let me ask you guys, please. I just ordered a 2 gallon, low-iron, rimless tank that is bundled with an 0.8 gallon tank that I thought could maybe be an ATO reservoir. I also got a Sicce 12 watt nano heater preset to 78 degrees F, a really cheap Nicrew 12 watt light, and an ATO who‘s name escapes me at the moment, but I’ll have an ATO.

Quick edit: I am more than happy to get a Kessil A80 Blue if the cheap NiCrew light isn’t enough. I do have a PAR meter, so I can double check PAR when I get the NiCrew light.

My plan, because I want to explore this option, is to use Tampa Bay Saltwater’s Nano Treasure Chest, which includes a few pounds of their live sand, base rock, premium rock, and I think a snail or hermit crab to boot. My thought, because I know there will definitely be die off and this is such a small tank, is to pre-cycle the tank using Dr. Tim’s One and Only and his Ammonium Chloride. I feel like this would be kind of a safety net for any die off, as best as I can. Once the system stabilizes, I would then add the ‘nemes. Is this a good paradigm?

Thanks again guys!

Last edited:

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost did this with a little 2 g I had over the summer if you want to check out my build on it! I would suggest either getting sand or a piece of liverock from your LFS. It would be just as cheap and effective to cycle the tank that way and much faster than doing a long cycle by dosing ammonia unless you want to do the whole ammonia cycle for the fun of it. You would only need like one rock and your tank would be good.

I think your tank would be perfect for multiple RFAs. You could get some sexy shrimp which I think are super cool! You could also do a pom pom crab. There are a bunch of little invert options. I did a goby pistol pair in mine. You should make a build thread for this if you do it!

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost did this with a little 2 g I had over the summer if you want to check out my build on it! I would suggest either getting sand or a piece of liverock from your LFS. It would be just as cheap and effective to cycle the tank that way and much faster than doing a long cycle by dosing ammonia unless you want to do the whole ammonia cycle for the fun of it. You would only need like one rock and your tank would be good.

I think your tank would be perfect for multiple RFAs. You could get some sexy shrimp which I think are super cool! You could also do a pom pom crab. There are a bunch of little invert options. I did a goby pistol pair in mine. You should make a build thread for this if you do it!
Thank you for your reply! Sexy shrimp are definitely in the list, as I just want some kind of movement in the tank. I am actually planning on using aquacultured live rock and sand from TBS. I have always wanted to try their rock, but I only recently learned that they sell small packages of their stuff, called “Treasure Chests”.

I very much would like a goby/pistol shrimp pair, if not in this little Pico, then in another tank. Do you think it’s possible to have a very small Goby and a pistol shrimp in a 2 gallon with a handful of RFA’s?

Thank you for your reply!

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can definitely add some small inverts as mentioned above, but avoid the euphyllia frag you mentioned as they could end up stinging the RFAs.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Runnin'Reefer Is the tank in your build really 2 gallon? It looks larger to me. Thanks again!

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can definitely add some small inverts as mentioned above, but avoid the euphyllia frag you mentioned as they could end up stinging the RFAs.
Oh dang! Thank you! I‘m still doing my research, and a long way from getting animals, but thank you for that! I would have thought the anemones had the tougher sting.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 gallons is fine. Only the brown/white varieties from very shallow water can get even 6", the vast majority in our hobby only get 2 - 4". Even if they do grow to 6", it should still be fine. I wouldn't add more than about half a dozen, though.

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Runnin'Reefer Is the tank in your build really 2 gallon? It looks larger to me. Thanks again!
Yeah it was around 2 gallons. It actually might have been a little smaller than 2 gallons. It was about 9x6x7. I think a goby pistol pair is perfect for a tank like that because you actually see them instead of in a big tank where they're hard to see. Just gotta make sure you get a small shrimp goby and a pistol shrimp that won't get too big

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try out Hellfire Corals (Frags?), as they have the sweetest bulk RFA deal, but not sure packing a pico with nems is a good idea. For a small tank, I would splurge in the most unique RFAs available (e.g. splatters, unique color variations, etc.).

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 gallons is fine. Only the brown/white varieties from very shallow water can get even 6", the vast majority in our hobby only get 2 - 4". Even if they do grow to 6", it should still be fine. I wouldn't add more than about half a dozen, though.
Thank you so much! Having about 3-5 was my idea, and it’s great to know that they can do well in a 2 gallon. Also, it’s very reassuring that your user name is Anemone Fanatic ;-)

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try out Hellfire Corals (Frags?), as they have the sweetest bulk RFA deal, but not sure packing a pico with nems is a good idea. For a small tank, I would splurge in the most unique RFAs available (e.g. splatters, unique color variations, etc.).
Thank you for your reply! I’m not looking to pack this tank with anything, I want them to have space and to be healthy. I’m looking for a mix of colors, but nothing high-end at all. In fact, because this is a small tank, I am looking for inexpensive animals for sure. Thank you for reply!

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I have been kicking around the idea of setting up a 2 gallon Pico tank, and have been thinking about what I’d stock it with. I’m newly intrigue by Rock Flower Anemones, and my thought was to make this 2 gallon a RFA dominate tank. However, I have learned that many RFA’s can reach 6-8” in diameter. That seems entirely too big for a 2 gallon tank that measures 8”x8”x8”. My question is what is the smallest tank recommended for a small group of RFA’s? I do have other tanks, this was just an idea for a potential Pico tank.

And do you have any suggestions on where to purchase Rock Flower Anemones?

Thank you for your help!
When ever I hear someone asking a question like this it makes me think whether a coral or a fish can thrive or just survive and in this case I wouldnt do it as I think a 2 gallon would be hard to keep parameters stable . I have a rockflower anemone that is the size of my hand . Imo I wouldn’t do it .

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chiming in to say that I think a small pack of 4-5 small RFAs would be perfect for a tank like that. Get a nice piece of fully cycled LR from an LFS and call it a day. A simple filter like you said, a heater and a simple light is fine.

I would skip fish in a tank that size. Even pistol shrimp gobies can be jumpers. An anemone crab/porcelain crab and a few sexy shrimp would be perfect movement. You can give the anemones a nice big feed once a week with pellets or myssis, then just drain 3/4 of the water and change it out to keep parameters in check.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the fast reply guys! OK, I read that some of them get that big, but maybe I read wrong, and that’s why I asked ;-) If I do this, the RFA’s would definitely be the star of the tank. Are they not typically very small when you buy them, like an inch or so? I’d like to have a few at least, if possible.

And I know I‘m proposing a very small tank (Which I’ve never done before, my last reef tank was a 125 gallon!). Are there any other tank mates that I could keep with the ‘Nemes? I’d like some movement in the tank. Maybe a Euphyillia frag, or maybe a shrimp, crab, or *something* that moves. Is that possible, or would the RFA’s sting other inhabitants?

I posted this question yesterday under the Nano section of reef2reef, but let me ask you guys, please. I just ordered a 2 gallon, low-iron, rimless tank that is bundled with an 0.8 gallon tank that I thought could maybe be an ATO reservoir. I also got a Sicce 12 watt nano heater preset to 78 degrees F, a really cheap Nicrew 12 watt light, and an ATO who‘s name escapes me at the moment, but I’ll have an ATO.

Quick edit: I am more than happy to get a Kessil A80 Blue if the cheap NiCrew light isn’t enough. I do have a PAR meter, so I can double check PAR when I get the NiCrew light.

My plan, because I want to explore this option, is to use Tampa Bay Saltwater’s Nano Treasure Chest, which includes a few pounds of their live sand, base rock, premium rock, and I think a snail or hermit crab to boot. My thought, because I know there will definitely be die off and this is such a small tank, is to pre-cycle the tank using Dr. Tim’s One and Only and his Ammonium Chloride. I feel like this would be kind of a safety net for any die off, as best as I can. Once the system stabilizes, I would then add the ‘nemes. Is this a good paradigm?

Thanks again guys!
For a small tank, sexy shrimp and a porcelain crab would be perfect. You can target feed the porcelain, since it won't get much food from a fishless tank (they are fine with a pellet or two every now and then). Sexies are great if you don't have other corals that they will go after. They occasionally "go rogue" and start eating other corals like SPS (bye bye stylophora) and meat corals. Sometimes they don't. If mostly RFAs, they might just stay put.

For lights, seriously consider a Noopsyche K7 mini. The spectrum is great for RFAs. Budget light and very powerful. You won't have to run it very high. Did I mention the spectrum is great? My RFAs look awesome under them.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a small tank, sexy shrimp and a porcelain crab would be perfect. You can target feed the porcelain, since it won't get much food from a fishless tank (they are fine with a pellet or two every now and then). Sexies are great if you don't have other corals that they will go after. They occasionally "go rogue" and start eating other corals like SPS (bye bye stylophora) and meat corals. Sometimes they don't. If mostly RFAs, they might just stay put.

For lights, seriously consider a Noopsyche K7 mini. The spectrum is great for RFAs. Budget light and very powerful. You won't have to run it very high. Did I mention the spectrum is great? My RFAs look awesome under them.
I’ve got a UNS 30A 7g lit by one with all my RFAs in it and it does in fact look great.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks again guys!
Sorry, I'm chain replying here. Yes, with TBS you'll be golden. Not sure if their nano treasure chest is shipped in water or shipped in wet paper, but if in water I'd expect almost no die off. I wouldn't bother with Tim's or any other cycling bacteria. You'll have all you need in the TBS rocks and it's a nano/pico in any case. Just good flow and filtration.

P.s., 2 gal is small even for RFAs. I have two that are large, one bigger than my hand. I think an Eshopps deskmate is an ideal tank for what you're describing.

Back