Saltgator's 240 Build

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see your tank is turning for the better! What part of SW FL do you live in Brad? I just moved to Fort Myers.. I feel like I've said this to you before but it must be my toddler-induced amnesia! ;)

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see your tank is turning for the better! What part of SW FL do you live in Brad? I just moved to Fort Myers.. I feel like I've said this to you before but it must be my toddler-induced amnesia! ;)

LOL. Yep we spoken. I'm about 10-20 minutes North of you in the Cape right off 41. I'm on SWFMAS as BC13.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. Yep we spoken. I'm about 10-20 minutes North of you in the Cape right off 41. I'm on SWFMAS as BC13.

No way!? Man I must be getting old. I've got to come see your tank, I've been talking a lot with Ron (Reefman). He's been over twice since our trade of our lighting pendants. If you ever need help with anything let me know, I love projects or just chatting about reefs. ;)

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way!? Man I must be getting old. I've got to come see your tank, I've been talking a lot with Ron (Reefman). He's been over twice since our trade of our lighting pendants. If you ever need help with anything let me know, I love projects or just chatting about reefs. ;)

Yeah I've borrowed a item from Ron and purchased a few frags a while back. We'll have to meet up, I'm really wanting to see your system in person. Not sure if I could really show off the 240, it's kinda bare or most are frags,lol, but your more than welcome to see it.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random shots tonight.

a2yga9ar.jpg

8upa7y6y.jpg

y6a7yvu2.jpg

mudytuja.jpg

8a9e9egu.jpg

amuja5e4.jpg

e9ujapu7.jpg

gamazyju.jpg

ynary4un.jpg

quny7e7u.jpg

paserupu.jpg

3aba8e5a.jpg

Country Boy using tapatalk on his EVO

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.... Here's today's forecast...

Eating mysis at lfs and enriched brine just minutes ago.
se4ude9u.jpg

He is for....
u7amaseq.jpg

Look closely, one decent 1 that I tried to epoxy over turned into 4+!! Woooosaaaa!!!

I have no idea, but cheap ($35) at lfs.
y5u6a5ah.jpg

Adam @ battle corals has sent me some beautiful frags (adjusting to LEDs and of coarse the egg crate is blooming algae)
qumezuhy.jpg

3enu3a5u.jpg

Thinking of getting rid of ALL my lps and going all sps. Haven't made my mind up yet. I'd only be getting rid of 2 meat corals, 3 acan colonies, and a softball size hammer. Thoughts???

Y'all have a good Thanks Giving and thanks for looking.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great Brad, I see a nice butterfly in a bucket!

azjohnny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Gator

just found your build, nice score on the tank, do you have any equipment pics?

Its good to see the tank is coming around, I bought my present FOWLR acrylic tank used and it had issues ....LOL....When I upgrade someday i will probably just give it away

Do you like the acrylic tank? I really like the light weight, it was helpful when I had to move it

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Gator

just found your build, nice score on the tank, do you have any equipment pics?

Its good to see the tank is coming around, I bought my present FOWLR acrylic tank used and it had issues ....LOL....When I upgrade someday i will probably just give it away

Do you like the acrylic tank? I really like the light weight, it was helpful when I had to move it

Thanks for looking. I love the acrylic, but it is a pain to clean coraline off (and mine tends to only grow on my front panel, lucky me). Other than that, I love it. As far a equipment shots, I'll have to get some up. I run a 55ish gallon acrylic sump with a swc 230, a reef octopus 140 pellet reactor, a 2.5-5 gallon refugium fed by a maxi jet, and 2 submersible pumps for returns. I really don't like my sump, so I'm currently looking into used ones. I'll see if i can get some equipment shots this week and maybe some updated FTS. Rearranging my rock work, getting that coraline off and getting my sps frags and ALK happy is my main goal currently. I appreciate it.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy oh boy, how I love troubleshooting!!! Me and my ALK are Not seeing eye to eye at all!!! While running my pellet reactor, my ALK was at 10 causing burnt tips on my sps frags (all but 3, 1 unidentified acro, 2 encrusted monties). Noticing this and getting feedback from members, I choose to lower it to 8 over a lengthy period. During this time, I've traded or sold my acan colonies, my meat and doughnut corals, and purchased a Hanna checker for my ALK. With 2 days of solid reading at 8.1 (dKh) and 8.3, last night it was back at 9.8!!! Chasing numbers is slowly causing me to consider letting my gsp and xenia (both flourishing) to consume the 8 feet of acrylic and just say whatever to sps!!! <<< this or giving up on the pellets and going strictly back to gfo and carbon (maybe in this nice reactor instead of sump bags).

On a good note, my newest addition, a 6 inch vlamingi tang (traded the 2 acan colonies for him) has settled (2 weeks in qt then to the reef) in and the harassment by my black tang has subsided.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am battling the same exact issue Brad. My params were rock solid for almost 3 months at 425/CAL, 10/DKH, 1350/MAG. I slowly started lowering my dosing amount of ALK to lower the DKH from 10 to 8. I checked my params 2 weeks ago and came up with 500/CAL, 8.5/DKH, 1400/MAG. Did a water change last week and one yesterday to hopefully lower the CAL and get things back to normal. It really is a test to try and figure out the exact levels and usage of our tanks. Seems once you get it nailed down it doesn't stray too far unless a new coral is added or lost.
I actually switched salts from IO to regular RedSea to help maintain a lower ALK as well. Keep up the good battle my friend. You'll get it figured out soon. Just takes testing params a few times a week rather than every once in a while.

Also, please don't let your gsp and xenia take over, you have a beautiful setup to allow that to happen. Let's see some pics of the new tang. Congrats!!!

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am battling the same exact issue Brad. My params were rock solid for almost 3 months at 425/CAL, 10/DKH, 1350/MAG. I slowly started lowering my dosing amount of ALK to lower the DKH from 10 to 8. I checked my params 2 weeks ago and came up with 500/CAL, 8.5/DKH, 1400/MAG. Did a water change last week and one yesterday to hopefully lower the CAL and get things back to normal. It really is a test to try and figure out the exact levels and usage of our tanks. Seems once you get it nailed down it doesn't stray too far unless a new coral is added or lost.
I actually switched salts from IO to regular RedSea to help maintain a lower ALK as well. Keep up the good battle my friend. You'll get it figured out soon. Just takes testing params a few times a week rather than every once in a while.

Also, please don't let your gsp and xenia take over, you have a beautiful setup to allow that to happen. Let's see some pics of the new tang. Congrats!!!

Thanks. Yeah, allowing the gsp and xenia to take over would be extreme on my part. I've tested every day and it's just getting to me getting where I know it needs to be and then watch it jump back where I came from. Not to mention watching my acros wither away. I just keep remembering when it was growing great and I decided to start messing with things. I had a HA breakout during hypo treatment on my fish. While my work horses (my tangs) were in qt hypo, HA took over and caused my decision making to jump on Bio pellets. I guess I broke the most important rule (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). Anyway, here ya go, not the best cell pics from qt.
uta2eryq.jpg

puryqe2a.jpg

Plus some shots of the Picasso eggs.
7ysy4a4e.jpg
usuryjuh.jpg

Their thread too. https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/anemone-clownfish-discussion/103708-picasso-eggs-question.html

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful looking fish! congrats.

Yep, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think once the bio-pellets take off and you get your params situated you'll be glad you added the bio-pellets.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful looking fish! congrats.

Yep, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think once the bio-pellets take off and you get your params situated you'll be glad you added the bio-pellets.

That's just it, I can't seem to tell yet. Maybe I'm just going too slow.?. I'm only up to half of my recommended dose in bio pellets (500ml, need 900-1000ml) after 2+ months. I never seeded my pellets with any bacteria, but let it start it's own. My Rio pump is plenty strong (backed down a bit from extreme tumble) and no clumps during the tumble. I don't know, lol. Thanks for the kind comments too.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no bio-pellet expert but I've read that it takes at least 3-4 weeks for the pellets to seed with bacteria. I've only been running for 3 weeks, and I'm only running 125mL of the recommended 750mL for my water volume. I did test my nitrates and phosphates the day I started running them and will retest those next week which will be one month of running them. I do also plan on adding another 125mL of pellets at that time. After I test and add more pellets, I plan on testing once per week just to see what is going on with those 2 params.
So, if you have not tested those params I would begin to and monitor how much the bio-pellets are stripping out. Your flow rate and pellet amount will determine just how much you are stripping from your tank.
I've read that they will strip like 10 to 1 times as much nitrate as phosphate. There are many great EcoBAK threads on many forums out there. I'd suggest reading as much as you can.

Also, are you running a refugium? Maybe running some macro algae in your sump for a few months to soak up some of the nutrients in the system will help as well. Just throwing some ideas out there.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no bio-pellet expert but I've read that it takes at least 3-4 weeks for the pellets to seed with bacteria. I've only been running for 3 weeks, and I'm only running 125mL of the recommended 750mL for my water volume. I did test my nitrates and phosphates the day I started running them and will retest those next week which will be one month of running them. I do also plan on adding another 125mL of pellets at that time. After I test and add more pellets, I plan on testing once per week just to see what is going on with those 2 params.
So, if you have not tested those params I would begin to and monitor how much the bio-pellets are stripping out. Your flow rate and pellet amount will determine just how much you are stripping from your tank.
I've read that they will strip like 10 to 1 times as much nitrate as phosphate. There are many great EcoBAK threads on many forums out there. I'd suggest reading as much as you can.

Also, are you running a refugium? Maybe running some macro algae in your sump for a few months to soak up some of the nutrients in the system will help as well. Just throwing some ideas out there.

Running a 3 week old fuge growing nicely. My phosphate was zero at the beginning and nitrate was .5 . I've tested several times (every couple weeks) and still the same numbers. I've read over most of those threads, but have considered it may have been my fault for: 1- not seeding the pellets and 2- not going with the ecobak (using brs brand now).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back