**Saturday Spotlight: Non-Photosynthetic Corals (NPS)!!**

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Corals.com

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 1.45.21 PM.png
Hey Reefers! Lets talk Non-Photosynthetic Corals! (NPS)

What are Non-Photsynthetic Corals (NPS)? NPS is a lesser known class of corals, that do not contain the symbiotic and photosynthetic zooxanthellae to aid in nutrient production, like other corals (SPS, LPS, Softies). They are completely non-photosynthetic and only obtain nutrients from what they collect in the water column. Making them, at times, a challenging, yet unique coral to care for!

Since NPS does not photosynthesize, it has much more specific care regiments than other, more typical, corals! We keep all of our NPS corals in a very limited light spectrum. Sometimes, even complete darkness! Which is sounds crazy to say but, some NPS actually prefer no light at all. Comparatively, other species of NPS don't mind any spectrum of light, and do well in a mixed reef setting! Usually, many reefers keep their NPS under a shelf or in a cave, with very limited light! A low light, easy to reach spot, where they can still admire their beauty!

Since these darkness dwelling corals don't obtain nutrients from photosynthesis, they must obtain it directly, and LOTS of it! We feed our NPS daily to ensure they are well fed, and obtaining the essential nutrients they need to survive and thrive! We spot feed them directly to absolutely ensure they are capturing and eating food. Your water column would have to be extremely dirty to have them naturally filter feed enough to survive, so this is necessary! We feed a mixture of mysis and brine shrimp, that they respond very well to!

We have lots of NPS in stock right now and are obtaining more and more all the time as they grow in popularity. They are one of the most rewarding corals to care for and watch thrive! Sun Corals, Dendrophyllia, Balanophyllia, and Lace Corals are NPS species that we regularly have available from Aussie, Indo, & Tonga! They are bright in coloration and are stunning to look at when open and feeding! Truly unique in character!

Take a look at a great guide to keeping NPS corals HERE, an article from NPS expert Florian Gaudig on Reefbuilders! As well as an awesome Youtube video below, diving deeper into NPS coral care from Reefbuilders! The world of NPS is an incredible place if you can take on the challenge of caring for them!

Down below are a few of our beautiful NPS Corals! Incredible pieces that you won't want to miss out on if you are an NPS lover or are intrigued to become one! Click any of them to shop instantly, we hope you enjoy and have a great weekend!
Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 9.25.09 AM.png
IMG_2705.JPG
IMG_2706.JPG

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back