Schooling fish

jthunderzzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to either get a group of chromis or anthias for my tank. I have a 65 gallon tank. Which would be better, and how many could I get? I have an auto feeder so I’m not worried about feeding.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are great. But they both will get a pecking order and kill off weaker ones.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that keeping a large school can theoretically work, but - as mentioned above - there are a number of things to keep in mind with schooling:

- The number of schooling fish in the tank (I've heard odd numbers are preferred, and the preferred number of fish that I've seen seems to be 9 to 11 at a minimum; the more fish, the more diluted the aggression is between them)

- The size of the tank (for quality of life purposes for your fish, bigger is better - yes, some animals will be calm when shoved into tiny spaces with large numbers of conspecifics where if there was just one or two conspecifics, it would be a deathmatch, but they obviously wouldn't be happy in that situation long-term)

- The amount fed, the quality of the feed, and the frequency of feedings (basically more food = less aggression; and better food = better health = happier, less aggressive fish [theoretically])

- Tankmates (big, scary tankmates that the schooling fish could view as a threat may act as an outside force that keeps the schooling fish focused on not getting killed rather than on fighting amongst themselves)

- The scape of the tank (lots of fish need lots of places to hide/sleep - the more hiding places, the safer the fish feel; line-of-sight-breaks can also help with feeling safe)

That's all I've got for the moment (and pretty much all of it has been mentioned above), but basically - to my understanding - it's a balance of making the fish feel threatened enough by external sources to prevent infighting while also making them feel safe enough (largely through their numbers, the tank's scape, and food security) to not be too stressed. If you're able to strike that balance, you should be able to see schooling behavior (to the best of my current understanding).

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to either get a group of chromis or anthias for my tank. I have a 65 gallon tank. Which would be better, and how many could I get? I have an auto feeder so I’m not worried about feeding.
I have a school of 3 chromis in my 70. Theyve been in there for over a year

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had chromis, but my 3 anthias hang together all day. It’s cute to watch them play together. I’ve had them over a year now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ive had both and still have anthias. If you get healthy one, chromis change blue tints under lighting but can squabble with each other.
Anthias have gone up in price but are very active fish, hence needing several feedings throughout the day (Auto-feeder plays a value here)

OP
OP
jthunderzzz

jthunderzzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had both and still have anthias. If you get healthy one, chromis change blue tints under lighting but can squabble with each other.
Anthias have gone up in price but are very active fish, hence needing several feedings throughout the day (Auto-feeder plays a value here)
I am leaning towards anthias after all of these comments. I currently have my feeder feed 5 times a day would that be enough for them?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am leaning towards anthias after all of these comments. I currently have my feeder feed 5 times a day would that be enough for them?
4x would be ok and manually add some frozen such as mysis, LRS fish frenzy and plankton

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back