Scott's 270g aka Project Mayhem

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it an arc fault or residual current breaker? At the panel, those are the most likely type of breaker if not a standard breaker. They will give you trouble anytime you run something with a large draw as they are constantly monitoring the draw and the current returning on neutral and looking for differences. It could indicate that your pump is leaking voltage but more likely is just fluctuating in its draw and tripping the circuit. You may want to change the breaker after testing the pump. Is it a dedicated circuit? If it is, you can test both the lead and the neutral leg at the breaker. With the pump on, they should return the same result.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Justin. That's the kind of testing procedure I was looking for :) The breaker is a 220v 2 pole ground fault circuit interrupter. It is a dedicated circuit for just the pumps. I didn't know how to differentiate between a faulty GFCI breaker or the pumps leaking voltage. I have a tough time thinking it's a large draw. Both pumps are pulling a combined 300w (according to the control panels). Well I guess the meter will tell the tale.

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, if you mentioned this already as I did not see it but who built your tank?

I will be upgrading to a large aquarium soon, but have no idea who to trust...

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so Jon checked it out and I had 1.2A on one side and 1.3A on the other. He said that wasn't leakage but that the two poles weren't sharing the load equally. He couldn't say why that was but he felt that it wasn't the VFD's from the pumps causing an issue. But the difference was enough to be tripping the GFCI. Why it only recently started, who knows. So we pulled the expensive GFCI breaker out and slapped a 2 pole in and so far so good *knock on computer*.

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, if you mentioned this already as I did not see it but who built your tank?

I will be upgrading to a large aquarium soon, but have no idea who to trust...

I had my tank and sumps built by Concept Aquariums out of Calgary, AB. They can do some pretty nice custom work with all the bells and whistles (one piece glass eurobraces, milled edges, etc.). I know they ship, as mine was shipped in the middle of a snow storm haahaa :) It was considerably cheaper than a Miracles tank from out east. Like a third of the price for the same features. I'd recommend them.

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I wanna see more of the room

The fish room? Or the whole basement?

i-z5ZXmrx-L.jpg

i-D3Tp5zP-L.jpg

i-Kh3889S-L.jpg

i-Lh2DvTV-L.jpg

i-76XNXBV-L.jpg

i-8tRXXcB-L.jpg

i-qP7zgTF-L.jpg

i-TH73qVJ-L.jpg

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haahaa the snake section is my wife's :) I am the fish tank person. Time to put up some photography though. Write off the cost of the basement as a gallery for my work!

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep.... montipora eating nudibranchs. Now what? ~12 monti colonies highly encrusted to the rock throughout the rock work. Complete removal of the corals would require a tank tear down.

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also looking into adding some T5's onto my lighting rig. Probably 8x36" to get full coverage in two bulbs. Level out the lighting and get rid of some of the darker spots. A little more pop with some of the T5 bulb combos. I have IceCap 660 ballasts, standoffs and individual reflectors that I am going to repurpose and add on to my aluminum frame.

------ ------
------ ------
Mitras x 3
------ ------
------ ------

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok update time. I'm still having a time balancing out the vibrance of the LED's and the blue/purple. Any suggestions are welcome!

RR UOP. Trust me, I'm not trying to make the raised coralites glow like that. They are a very nice blue but the LED's are raising hell with my camera sensor.
i-7xRGcL4-L.jpg

DV aurora
i-cg75JmN-L.jpg

IA Cobalt
i-2qTdtjt-L.jpg

IA stag
i-632qBL5-L.jpg

RR Blue Matrix still taking it's sweet time to colour up.
i-9JLLXSL-L.jpg

DV pokerstar
i-JX7NwZR-L.jpg

DV acro
i-TTPdmbD-L.jpg

DV Mystic
i-wGMNzBt-L.jpg

A nice setosa
i-sPQGsxX-L.jpg

RR Wolverine colouring up nicely
i-jHzdpjf-L.jpg

i-sRThtbk-L.jpg

Last edited:

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I would never leave the basement! :bigsmile:

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haahaa :) I'm sitting down here with a coffee and watching sports centre right now! The fish look hungry :)

rininger85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tagging along, love the basement! I'm working on a 240 gal tank right now that is an in wall in my downstairs off the family room, love what you've done with the downstairs!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back