Scratching an itch?

sleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed my royal gramma scratching his "forehead" on the rocks near his cave lately. There are some small visible places on his head that look like he has rubbed off the first layer of skin. They are still the same purple color so you can't see them even if I could get a great pic of the fish. All my other fish seem fine and even the effected one still eats like a pig with no other abnormal behavior. I do weekly water changes, and feed a combination of flake and frozen mysis/krill once a day. Lights are on 8hrs daily, I did add a solor fairy wrasse about a week and a half ago but I wouldn't think he is stressing the gramma as he keeps to himself. Any advice??? If this is harmful or treatable I want to catch it early.
Thanks,
Dave

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than likely you have introduced a parasite to the tank. Did you quarantine the new wrasse? Grammas are pretty hardy fish and can overcome various parasites. But that's not saying the other fish in the tank can. Keep an eye on the fish for a while. Make sure you feed them nutritious foods this will build immunity. May want to consider a large UV sterilizer .(twice or more larger than recommended for the tank) I know the long time reefers are gonna have a problem with this but if it is a parasite you have to keep the numbers down. dont waist money on reef safe cure for ich they don't work. The only treatments that work cant be done in the display tank. (copper and hypo salinity)

Last edited:
OP
OP
sleeper

sleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20g I can set up as a QT and no I did not QT the new wrasse. (I know...stupid) Guess I will just keep up good params and add some garlic to my feedings. If he gets worse I will pull him out and QT with copper based meds.
Thanks

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Full frame

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 37 37.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back