OP
OP
seafansar

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks! Didn't know there was a yuma show off thread. The CBB leave the zoas alone. He's only had problems with acans and tiny clove polyps like those blue snowflake clove polyps. But other than that he's great. When he was in my old 150 gallon he even left my clam alone.

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello! any updates?

curious as to your method of maintaining water quality & alk/calc levels... just water changes, or are you dosing? how much and how often? also, did you add a skimmer and are you using any media in the filter basket?

looks good!

cheers!
- ben

OP
OP
seafansar

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry I missed this. I've been lazy with this thread. lol. Let's see, I have a few new pictures to post. But to answer your questions, I only do water changes, but I do add some Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium to my WC water. I do a water change every 1 to 3 weeks depending on how lazy I've been and they are usually 10 gallon WC's, but a couple of times only 5 gallons. No, I never added a skimmer and probably will never. I use the stock media that came with the tanks, but I wash it out about every 2nd to 3rd WC and change the carbon in it.

Also we got a new clam a little while ago and set up another LED 28 gallon JBJ nano. Both tanks are doing good. Here are some sort of updated pics, took them about a month ago.
IMG_2405.jpg

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

New clam!
IMG_2406.jpg

IMG_2398.jpg

IMG_2399.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

New SPS.
IMG_2410.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

Tailspot blenny
IMG_2423.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
seafansar

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And here's the second tank. I glued down some more corals, so it looks a bit better now. And that blue blenny is gone, cause he decided SPS were yummy.
IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

Our new blenny. He's camera shy.
IMG_2426.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
seafansar

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh and all my browned out SPS and the ones that got nibbled on by the blenny are coloring up really nicely. Everything else is growing pretty quickly too. I got rid of the cyano problem by adding some red slime remover and it hasn't come back in a few weeks now. I just have one main problem now. The dang big amphipods have been eating some of my zoas and chalices, so I need to interceptor my tanks. But I need to figure out how to get out my pistol shrimp first. I have no clue how, cause he lives so far under the rocks. :( Oh and I have tons of little tiny pods that swim around my tanks now. It's really weird. They stay in low flow areas and look like tiny fry, but I'm pretty sure they are pods.

Videos of the tanks.
Tank #1
28 JBJ LED nano :: 20101231155440.mp4 video by _eyesthatstare_ - Photobucket
Tank #2
28 JBJ LED nano 2 :: 20101231155625.mp4 video by _eyesthatstare_ - Photobucket

OP
OP
seafansar

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Figured out a new way to feed my CBB. He was getting a little skinny even though he eats frozen great. I guess he just wasn't getting enough even though I was feeding him 2 to 4 times a day. I was also putting a frozen cube in a "mesh bag" for lack of better wording, but the holes were too big and the food floated out of it too easily when it thawed. So I went and found some smaller mesh, stiff plastic stuff you can find in the crafts section that is used to make things with yarn, and it holds the food really well. He can still get it out, but it doesn't let the food float out of it. He has a nice belly in the first time in a while! I'm so happy I found a way to keep him better fed, cause I was starting to think I needed to find him a new tank.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted a CBB. They are the most beautiful fish, but I'm afraid of what he would do to my clams and what the wrasses would do to him. The wrasses are so aggressive when I feed that I don't think a CBB would stand a chance. Maybe the next tank....

OP
OP
seafansar

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When I had my 150 gallon set up, he did fine with my radiant wrasse and other hungry fish. But for some reason when I gave him to my dad, along with most of my other fish, for his 125, he started getting really skinny. I took him back, cause I dont' think he could compete with the other "new" fish or maybe he just didn't like the new tank. Now I rotate him from nano to nano, cause both still have aiptasia in them and he just LOVES eating aips. But anyway, I think the new mesh I got is small enough that only he can get food out of it, cause he has to suck the food out of it. I don't think a wrasse could get to the food.

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those tanks are awesome, I love your Maxima as well, makes me miss mine;(

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my 150 gallon set up, he did fine with my radiant wrasse and other hungry fish. But for some reason when I gave him to my dad, along with most of my other fish, for his 125, he started getting really skinny. I took him back, cause I dont' think he could compete with the other "new" fish or maybe he just didn't like the new tank. Now I rotate him from nano to nano, cause both still have aiptasia in them and he just LOVES eating aips. But anyway, I think the new mesh I got is small enough that only he can get food out of it, cause he has to suck the food out of it. I don't think a wrasse could get to the food.
My LFS gets them in pretty regularly and I always ask to see them eat frozen, but I never pull the trigger. They seem so reluctant to go after the mysis they're putting in the tanks. I've heard that live blackworms are a food of choice for them, but I've never seen them locally.

OP
OP
seafansar

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Definitely wait until you see one really going after mysis. I got a few online and in a store that showed no interest in mysis or anything else and they didn't make it. This one ate mysis like crazy at the store, so I knew he was a winner. I've had him for a little over a year now.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great idea for feeding picky fish! You should post up a pic of it so we can see what it is you did with the mesh?

OP
OP
seafansar

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
New way to feed my CBB. Now he wastes less of the food and is getting much fatter! :)
IMG_2611.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_2620.jpg

And some new pics of tank #2 I don't know if you can tell in the pics, but there is a huge yuma in the center that's on the side of a rock. It grew a lot when I put it in the tank and now it's about 4.5" across when fully opened. Only bad thing is it's on the side of the rock and a little hard to see. My clove polyps in the last picture are really taking off too!
IMG_2614.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like your chalices have grown a bit since the first pics. So it was the Tail Spot Blenny that was going after the SPS?

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really a cool lookin nano I currently run the jbj 28 hqi and I love it I don't think ill part with my nanos once I upgrade I might set them up as frag tanks or something lol keep em pics comin

OP
OP
seafansar

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks like your chalices have grown a bit since the first pics. So it was the Tail Spot Blenny that was going after the SPS?

No, the tail spot has been great and I've had him for over a year now. It was the blue and gold blenny that was bad. He's gone to a new home now with only softies.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I was starting to wonder, cause I've had a few of those guys in past years (different tanks) and I never had one touch anything. So they "bad" was a biocolor? Or is that different than a blue and gold?

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These tanks look great. Everytime I'm at my LFS I check out the LED Nano's and just wish that my wife would allow two tanks in the house. Great job and also which chalice is the green with orangered eyes?

BTW keep an eye on the Emerald Crab. I just caught mine breaking apart my Tyree Alien Eye Watermelon and eating it. The only way I was able to get him out of the tank was by treating my tank with Interceptor. I hate killing animals, but I had to do what I had to do.

OP
OP
seafansar

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry I didn't see your comments earlier! The blue and gold blenny is different than a bicolor. Here's what he was: Blue and Gold Blenny
My tailspot has been great. I really like him. It's funny, he does fine in a small tank, but when he was in the 150 gallon he'd use every inch of the tank. lol. Swam around all the time looking for algae on the back glass and rocks.

RZ5T- Thanks! I think you're talking about the Bubble Gum Monster. One of my brightest chalices. The emerald crab has been a good citizen. Haven't seen him eating anything other than small patches of algae and pellets. I did keep a close eye on him at first, cause I've had one go after my SPS before. I guess each one is different.

I'm actually treating one of the tanks with Interceptor right now (got the emerald out before I treated. Thankfully he was in an easy place to catch him.). Trying to kill the BIG amphipods in the tank. They have been eating some of my chalices and palys. I hate it, cause I couldn't catch my pistol shrimp. :( Doubt he'll survive. But I was about to loose my new magician palys, RPE's, candy apple reds, and two chalices. I've been trying to catch the pistol shrimp for a while now, but after so many failed attempts I just had to go ahead and treat the tank. On a brighter note, I've seen 4 huge pods lying on their sides dying! Hahahaha! I don't feel sorry about killing them!

Back