Seam failure?

Cody000125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,

I have a red sea reefer 250 v3 and around a year ago the seam started failing above the seam protector strip. I asked red sea and they mentioned it was fine and to keep an eye on it. I was out for vacation for a week and came back to what looks like moisture below the seam protector. Is this the main seal failing? Should I drain the tank? Any input would really be appreciated. The top half is the seam protector and has been like that for a year, the bottom half is new.

20240503_214929.jpg

20240503_214919.jpg

20240503_214915.jpg

20240503_214911.jpg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a red sea reefer 250 v3 and around a year ago the seam started failing above the seam protector strip. I asked red sea and they mentioned it was fine and to keep an eye on it. I was out for vacation for a week and came back to what looks like moisture below the seam protector. Is this the main seal failing? Should I drain the tank? Any input would really be appreciated. The top half is the seam protector and has been like that for a year, the bottom half is new.

20240503_214929.jpg

20240503_214919.jpg

20240503_214915.jpg

20240503_214911.jpg
Its a red sea tank… if this was my tank I would get water out ASAP. I also have a red sea tank and from all the seam breaks they have I wouldnt chance that in the slightest cause when that goes it like goes.

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That appears to be separation on the main part of the seal. I’d plan to drain that tank ASAP. I also have a Red Sea tank and keep a stock tank around just in case. If my seam looked like that I would be moving my inhabitants to the stock tank. I check my seams almost daily.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That appears to be separation on the main part of the seal. I’d plan to drain that tank ASAP. I also have a Red Sea tank and keep a stock tank around just in case. If my seam looked like that I would be moving my inhabitants to the stock tank. I check my seams almost daily.
100%. I also check my seam every morning

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations on new tank brands? Will try and do what I can asap.
So I have an Aqueon for my 125. Its a great tank in my opinion, never had an issue. Tank was 5 years old when I got it and its been up and running for me a year and a half. I currently am in the process of setting a 300 gallon up that I found. That is a planet aquarium. Looks pretty solid! I do really like my 15 gallon IM tank, very well made.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef octopus Lux T90 has been wonderful, similar dimensions to your Red Sea (same length, slightly smaller width and depth) and the stand is built like a Mercedes... The tank is also super quiet.

If you want something bigger though, go with innovative marine

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations on new tank brands? Will try and do what I can asap.

waterbox... cade... UNS... Innovative Marine.... are pretty much gold standards.
Then you have your customs like glass cage, and planet tanks.

If you want acrylic then Tencor...

I like Innovative Marine on the larger tanks tho, as they come with corner armor and eurobrace.

I was going to get a waterbox, but ultimate went IM, because of eurobrace and armored corner seams.
But i hear the EXT's have wier issues.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't mess around with seam failures and hope that they'll be okay. When they go, they go, and it's a sudden and catastrophic failure that will be one of the most painful things to clean up short of a house fire. Once it's started leaking, it's just a matter of *when* it will fail, not if.

Drain it, get your livestock into a holding tank, and get a replacement ASAP. One of the few situations where I'd recommend taking out financing if necessary... normally I don't think financing is a good idea for hobby purchases, but you're in a situation where it could cost you far more than the cost of the tank.

In terms of brands - If you have time (which you don't) I'd favor GlassCages, but Waterbox and Innovative Marine both make good tanks and should be available relatively quickly.

OP
OP
C

Cody000125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't mess around with seam failures and hope that they'll be okay. When they go, they go, and it's a sudden and catastrophic failure that will be one of the most painful things to clean up short of a house fire. Once it's started leaking, it's just a matter of *when* it will fail, not if.

Drain it, get your livestock into a holding tank, and get a replacement ASAP. One of the few situations where I'd recommend taking out financing if necessary... normally I don't think financing is a good idea for hobby purchases, but you're in a situation where it could cost you far more than the cost of the tank.

In terms of brands - If you have time (which you don't) I'd favor GlassCages, but Waterbox and Innovative Marine both make good tanks and should be available relatively quickly.
Seems like waterbox is backordered until late june. Was going to look into IM, seems like most really like their build quality. What do you recommend for storing the livestock? I have some quarantine tanks I can put the fish in (only 10 gallons though for 2 clowns and a royal gramma) along with another small ~20ish gallon tank I can store rock, sand, and coral?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like waterbox is backordered until late june. Was going to look into IM, seems like most really like their build quality. What do you recommend for storing the livestock? I have some quarantine tanks I can put the fish in (only 10 gallons though for 2 clowns and a royal gramma) along with another small ~20ish gallon tank I can store rock, sand, and coral?
Buy a stock tank (Big black plastic thing horses drink out of) for a temporary solution

Here: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rubbermaid-structural-foam-stock-tanks-50-gal-capacity

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Created a poll, hopefully you guys and gals will vote:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back