seastars (Basket star)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Does anyone own this

can you share me pictures of your tank and how doe she relate with other fish ?

Havent seen these since the 90's. Very cool

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I know @Kittenslim got one in September - the last update I heard was in February, so I don't know how it's doing now. I know @DHill6 had one for a while too.

To my understanding, as long as there's nothing particularly aggressive in the tank to harass the basket star, they should be fine and get along without issues - keeping them alive long-term seems to be the challenge:
If you can count the number of madreporites on the star's disk, that would help with an ID.

That said, basket stars (from the taxonomic family Gorgonocephalidae) have been shown to typically feed on both large and small plankton (including bacteria and possibly coral eggs), detritus,* and possibly some of the mucus produced by their host gorgonian as well (though they may be feeding on microbes or biofilm in the mucus rather than the mucus itself, or not feeding on it purposefully at all - or it may be case by case/species dependent; regardless, to my knowledge, this hasn't been very well studied yet).**

The size of the food needed depends in large part on the size of the star, but likely depends on other physical attributes the species as well. At least some of them need to be greater than or equal to 20mm in disk size before they can properly eat more "traditional" plankton foods like copepods.

*Sources:

**Sources:
Some species seem to be able to take larger pieces of food as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back