sensor alarm during water change

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did to calibrate my pumps for auto water change, was to dose a large amount, like a gallon, from each dosing head over and over, then took the average rate to determine how long to run the pumps for. Then I run them for a certain number of minutes each as controlled by timers. I do an auto water change of 5 gallons a day.

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did to calibrate my pumps for auto water change, was to dose a large amount, like a gallon, from each dosing head over and over, then took the average rate to determine how long to run the pumps for. Then I run them for a certain number of minutes each as controlled by timers. I do an auto water change of 5 gallons a day.
I'd like to get it set up to run based on the calibration of the pumps and a set time, but I need to get a bit more comfortable with the equipment first. Hence, I'm using physical sensors to dictate the control of the pumps.

Eventually, I'd like to use these switches as fail safes only and rely on the pumps with a timer for each.

Are your pumps pretty similar at similar calibration rates? Mine are performing slightly differently as the tubing runs differ by ~15 feet.

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a decent variation between the rates of my two pumps - one is 307ml/min, the other is 338ml/min.

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are pretty different 194 vs 275. Again totally different runs between the two though.

How often do you confirm calibration of the pumps? What do you use as failsafe? Level sensors and/or probes?

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't rechecked the calibration in quite a while. I probably should. All I'm doing is keeping an eye on salinity. But having float switches or level sensors does seem like a good idea. I do have level sensors that I am using for my ATO.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back