Setting up Ozone but ORP above 400 already

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,
Setting up an ozone generator so added an ORP probe a few weeks ago. My ORP readings are in the 390-420 range already before starting ozone. Reading other people’s ozone settings, they tend not to go above 400 before shutting the ozone off (through APEX or some other method). So is an ORP over 400 a problem or can I set a higher shutoff value for my ozone generator (is 450 limit safe?).

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Setting up an ozone generator so added an ORP probe a few weeks ago. My ORP readings are in the 390-420 range already before starting ozone. Reading other people’s ozone settings, they tend not to go above 400 before shutting the ozone off (through APEX or some other method). So is an ORP over 400 a problem or can I set a higher shutoff value for my ozone generator (is 450 limit safe?).
I stop mine at 420. Just a personal reference point. BRS are running theirs up to 450 on the new 52 weeks tanks.

Q: Any reason you're not happy with your ORP sitting at 390-420? ORP is a funny size to measure; hard really to quantify.

Q: What are you hoping to achieve with the ozone what you struggle with now?

OP
OP
I

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I stop mine at 420. Just a personal reference point. BRS are running theirs up to 450 on the new 52 weeks tanks.

Q: Any reason you're not happy with your ORP sitting at 390-420? ORP is a funny size to measure; hard really to quantify.

Q: What are you hoping to achieve with the ozone what you struggle with now?
Thanks! I will have to check out the BRS setup. I was reading that it was not recommended to go above 400 but wasn’t sure how accurate that information was. I was poking at the level because I believe ozone will increase the ORP level and was worried it was already on the high side before turning it on. Only looking to improve water clarify with ozone. I used carbon reactor but with a 325g tank, ozone looks more efficient and less space usage than the jumbo reactor I had set up.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I may just go the route of running it an hour each night with an ORP limit and see how that works.

That’s sounds fine. ORP may not rise much anyway, and that amount is likely enough to reduce yellowing substantially

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back