Shoaling & Schooling For 125g ?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purposely took an eh pic, it's just a random cell snap, I did not walk up to tank and make them think they are being fed, just spun around in my chair and snapped this off to show how my anthia and chromis usually group together, this is what I see most of the time. (My tank is still fairly new at about 5mo old now, established LR from previous setup, no real cycle, I've had the chromis about 4 mo now, same 5 i started with, and 5 lyretails about a month now)

nvert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Threadfin cardinals is a good choice for a schooling fish. I have six and they hang together all the time. Be warned though, they are very delicate shippers. I have six doing well right now but I ordered 14. Some were DOA and a few others died shortly after being introduced to the tank which is 4 years old now.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that lyretails don't stay together as a group as well as dispar or randalls anthias, so if you're looking for that shoaling effect they may be a better choice than lyretails.
OP, firefish school nicely, but they will typically stay low near their burrow.
Once firefish mature, which doesn't take long, they are intolerant of conspecifics, unless they are a bonded pr.

Griff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 carberryi that school together. I feed them two to three times a day and all are doing well. I wouldn't put 12 in a 125 though. I'd do 6 or less. Only one male per school.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some type of cardinal is your best choice.
Personally I like the mix of redspot and blue streak cardinals. I've seen many tank that mix the 2 and have a very eye pleasing school.
Here's a picture of the 2.
IMG_4497.JPG

Red spot - 1.5" Max Size
IMG_4498.JPG

Blue streak - 2 to 2.5"
IMG_4172.JPG

Mix of both... you could get a relatively large school of each because they don't get huge.

Are you sure those arn't fresh water fish ? lol.....
Very pretty and small. That entire tank is great !

Get a hawkfish and the smaller fish will school real tightly to one another, lol. Especially an angry Archeye Hawk. It did a really good job of keeping my green chromis and firefish schooling together.

Years ago, we had a Hawk and he was wonderful. We'll alsohave a Clown Trigger, so I'm sure he'll keep the smaller fish in "protection mode". lol.....

OP, firefish school nicely, but they will typically stay low near their burrow. Chromis are better for the open water. I have no experience with Anthias, but have read that many times that they eventually start killing one another. Maybe because of lack of food? Not sure.

I realize that the Anthias will have some picking order, and maybe even killing one. I won't like that, but what can be done with mother nature. In the wild, death I'm sure may never happen, but in a aquarium not much can be done. I'll be a papa and spank and make him swim in a corner !

Depends on type of anthia, bartletts are known to peck each other off, but many keep lyretails w/out issues, carberryi's, dispars, ignitus also play well together, but of those lyretails are easiest to get eating properly, eat pellets, and less shy, and actually help more shy species come out.
I have had lyretails, carbs, and dispars together long term succesfully.
I don't think you need an aggressive fish to keep them grouped, just a larger fish may help, like a tang, but even w/out a larger fish both my anthia and chromis have stayed tightly grouped

Which do you like best for schooling, looks and cost ?

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 carberryi that school together. I feed them two to three times a day and all are doing well. I wouldn't put 12 in a 125 though. I'd do 6 or less. Only one male per school.

That is a beautiful species. Why 6 or less ?

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once firefish mature, which doesn't take long, they are intolerant of conspecifics, unless they are a bonded pr.

I had 3 that always stayed together and shared the same burrow for over a year. I would notice ripped fins every once in awhile, but they would heal quickly. I was probably just lucky in that they all had a temperament that allowed them to stay together or maybe they were still very young. Since you say this isn't typical behavior, I'll avoid schools of firefish from now on. Just single or pairs.

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure those arn't fresh water fish ? lol.....
Very pretty and small. That entire tank is great !

I realize that the Anthias will have some picking order, and maybe even killing one. I won't like that, but what can be done with mother nature. In the wild, death I'm sure may never happen, but in a aquarium not much can be done. I'll be a papa and spank and make him swim in a corner !

lol yea I know they look similar to tetras but no, they are for sure saltwater. Not the most colorful but one of my personal favorite schooling fish.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For me it's hard to go wrong w/ lyretails, they eat easy, not expensive, and they can encourage other more shy anthia to come out and eat.
Past tanks I've had a combo of lyre's, carberryi, dispars, which I plan to have again, but right now just lyretails, tanks still kinda new

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back