Should activated carbon be pulled out while dosing things?

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dosing things such as amino acids, vitamins or chaeto gro, etc, should the activated carbon be pulled out for a while since it may bind what is being dosed?
It would be a waste if what's put into the tank is removed by activated carbon. Not only for what is being dosed but also for the activated carbon.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t recommend bothering to remove it. Only a few types of amino acids might bind, and those are not generally main ingredients in hobby products. I’m not sure any vitamins are useful in the water, but some may partially bind. Nothing in chaeto grow will significantly bind to GAC in seawater.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t recommend bothering to remove it. Only a few types of amino acids might bind, and those are not generally main ingredients in hobby products. I’m not sure any vitamins are useful in the water, but some may partially bind. Nothing in chaeto grow will significantly bind to GAC in seawater.
Thank you Randy!

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering the same thing. This may be a silly question but Carbon Rox in a reactor wont pull out the main players in something like the "All for Reef." Ca, Mg, trace elements?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering the same thing. This may be a silly question but Carbon Rox in a reactor wont pull out the main players in something like the "All for Reef." Ca, Mg, trace elements?

As mentioned, all types of GAC (including ROX), but certain organics (that's the purpose). And those organics may themselves have bound trace metals such as copper, iron, etc.

There's no real way around exporting organics and not losing some trace elements, but in many cases the amount lost may be trivial compared to the sum of all the other ways they are consumed or lost.

In any case, I do not consider it a reason to not use GAC, skimming, etc.

GAC has no effect on calcium, magnesium, or formate in AFR.

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, all types of GAC (including ROX), but certain organics (that's the purpose). And those organics may themselves have bound trace metals such as copper, iron, etc.

There's no real way around exporting organics and not losing some trace elements, but in many cases the amount lost may be trivial compared to the sum of all the other ways they are consumed or lost.

In any case, I do not consider it a reason to not use GAC, skimming, etc.

GAC has no effect on calcium, magnesium, or formate in AFR.
as always, thanks Randy. Will you be at Reefapalooza in NJ by chance?

bambooshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd take it out until the medication is done. There are other types of filters you can use until the medication is done.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then safe to assume that running ROX 24/7 to remove yellowing or dissipate ozone not a concern? I'll be adding trace based on ICP-MS as needed.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then safe to assume that running ROX 24/7 to remove yellowing or dissipate ozone not a concern? I'll be adding trace based on ICP-MS as needed.

I did it, and it did not concern me. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd take it out until the medication is done. There are other types of filters you can use until the medication is done.

Is there a medication being discussed here?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back