Should I call the police? Do you know of such a scam?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A package arrived on my doorstep this morning address to me. I open it up and it's a DVD player from Best Buy and on the return label is my name, my address and my phone number. Thing is, I didn't order it. I call Best Buy and a guy named Abraham (of which I know zero Abrahams) paid for it and sent it. It was cheap, so I feel like someone is testing the waters for something. If was just my address, or even if it was my address and name, I wouldn't be so freaked, but how did they get my cell number.

Has anyone heard a scam going on like this? I'm trying to find a way to call the police, but I can only find a general number..... one general number for all of freaking Los Angeles. I'm hoping to find a different number.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
A package arrived on my doorstep this morning address to me. I open it up and it's a DVD player from Best Buy and on the return label is my name, my address and my phone number. Thing is, I didn't order it. I call Best Buy and a guy named Abraham (of which I know zero Abrahams) paid for it and sent it. It was cheap, so I feel like someone is testing the waters for something. If was just my address, or even if it was my address and name, I wouldn't be so freaked, but how did they get my cell number.

Has anyone heard a scam going on like this? I'm trying to find a way to call the police, but I can only find a general number..... one general number for all of freaking Los Angeles. I'm hoping to find a different number.
Wow i dont blame you, their is countless amounts of scams going around and its really sickning. I would call the police, dont kno much about how they are in la (because in newyork they prob wont help you) and see if theyll investigate

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) do you have an Internet acct with bestbuy? Not necessarily a CC acct but a bestbuy account that stores your info?
2) did they tell you how Abraham paid for it and where was the origin of purchase?
3) look up your local precinct and you should get station number, i.e. LAPD, west valley station

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes me wonder if this guy/gal lives near you. Might have stolen someone else's cc account, paid for the item got info to a house/person near him in hopes to grab the package on arrival. Didn't bank on you being home. I don't see the point of the scam otherwise, if he didn't use your info to pay.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't have my identity, per se, as it. It was paid for this Ab guy with his credit card and his information. They couldn't give out too much, because it wasn't my purchase (go figure).

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, this is weird. Let us know how it turns out.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes me wonder if this guy/gal lives near you. Might have stolen someone else's cc account, paid for the item got info to a house/person near him in hopes to grab the package on arrival. Didn't bank on you being home. I don't see the point of the scam otherwise, if he didn't use your info to pay.

This is what I'm thinking. I was wondering if they were testing the water with this cheap item (it was $24), seeing if they could maybe get a more expensive item here and maybe intercept it, or something.

I also live in a gated community.....

trahelyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps somebody is testing the waters to see if they could ship drugs to your house? I think that's a thing that happens.

oldsaint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like some type of a "reshipping scam". If they have your cell number I suspect a phone call soon asking you to ship it overseas.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure? I'm just wondering if maybe a computer glitch put your acct info on his purchase.

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird. I think a stolen card used to purchase the merchandise and a plan to swipe the package from your doorstep is most likely.

If you have any legitimate packages coming your way, it might be best to have them held for pickup. Otherwise, make sure you're home for every delivery. Did this come UPS or through another carrier?

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's UPS. The item was only $24, that's why I'm thinking it's part of a bigger scam. Shipping was almost that!

I'm putting the box back outside (minus the innards). I have a security system.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to contact the police.

This is common practice for stolen credit cards....and not necessarily yours. What is missing is that they intercept the package before it gets delivered to you. If you don't report it now, when it finally gets investigated as stolen CC, it was all shipped to you.

I would definitely check all your credit cards as well to make sure they are not using your card and address.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing that concerns me is that they have your name, address and cell. How did they get your cell? Sounds like you've been hacked in some way. I would contact your local authorities

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 90 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 91 45.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 19 9.5%
Back