Should I plug my Neptune Sky lights into my Apex?

mattvd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I purchased 2 new Neptune sky lights. I also have the Apex Pro 3 unit.

The lights are connected together using the Y aqua bus splitter.

However, the way that Neptune designed the Aquabus and power brick splitter is that the Aquabus cable AND power brick practically have to be right next to your Apex unit to allow the Aquabus connection enough slack to fit in. I cannot figure out why they didn’t leave the Aquabus connection at the end of the power line where you would be plugging into the outlet! This way you would have some flexibility where you could hang your lights.

The only solution to this would be to buy an Aquabus extension cable so I can connect it into my Apex unit.

My question is, is it worth it? It seems like I can set everything up without actually plugging the lights into my Apex unit. Is the extension cable worth it?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I purchased 2 new Neptune sky lights. I also have the Apex Pro 3 unit.

The lights are connected together using the Y aqua bus splitter.

However, the way that Neptune designed the Aquabus and power brick splitter is that the Aquabus cable AND power brick practically have to be right next to your Apex unit to allow the Aquabus connection enough slack to fit in. I cannot figure out why they didn’t leave the Aquabus connection at the end of the power line where you would be plugging into the outlet! This way you would have some flexibility where you could hang your lights.

The only solution to this would be to buy an Aquabus extension cable so I can connect it into my Apex unit.

My question is, is it worth it? It seems like I can set everything up without actually plugging the lights into my Apex unit. Is the extension cable worth it?
Yes:)

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
3' may not be the longest, but it is not on top of each other.
1662728530064.png

OP
OP
mattvd

mattvd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3' may not be the longest, but it is not on top of each other.
1662728530064.png
Yeah, my Apex system is next to my Aquarium, and I feed everything up and through a drop ceiling and back over to the tank. Probably around 8 feet of wires needed.

3 feet from my Apex unit makes it so that the brick is dangling up the wall which is no good. Then the 4 feet after the brick is not enough to get up the wall completely even if I did hide the brick behind my Apex's mounting bracket.

Unfortunately an aquabus extension is required if you can't hide a power brick within 3' of your Apex system. No issue with running long cords, but that power brick really messes up your cable management.

With that all being said, what is the advantage of actually plugging in the aquabus connection? I could install it via bluetooth on the app and not have to worry about plugging in that aquabus extension it seems. Am I losing any functionality by not using the Aquabus connection?

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can replace the brick to outlet cord with a standard pc style power cord of a longer length.

If it is plugged into the apex, it is seen as a module… so it is “in the ecosystem”. I think if you use the bt, it will not be “in your tank” rather in another screen. Just a convenience thing. Also, if it is plugged into the apex, you can control it outside of Bt range as it would be using the WiFi of the apex.

OP
OP
mattvd

mattvd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can replace the brick to outlet cord with a standard pc style power cord of a longer length.

If it is plugged into the apex, it is seen as a module… so it is “in the ecosystem”. I think if you use the bt, it will not be “in your tank” rather in another screen. Just a convenience thing. Also, if it is plugged into the apex, you can control it outside of Bt range as it would be using the WiFi of the apex.
Thanks for the response. Good point about replacing the outlet cord potentially with a longer one. I suppose at that point though the aquabus extender would be less expensive.

I would like to control the lights outside of BT range when necessary. I'll go ahead and get the extender.

Thanks for the suggestions!

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would venture to say no one in this world with an apex and a sky don’t have them connected over a 40$ cord. Good choice

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A few other thoughts:

The cable is only $22.... so you might be able to save a few dollars with a generic USB extension cable.... but I am not 100% sure if that works (or if it would cause damage). I am sure the answer is on here somewhere, but if it was me I would just buy the OEM one.

It you have any modules (ex. PM1, COR pump, DOS, FMM etc) you can daisy chain them. They always have 2 aquabus ports... one for in and one for daisychain. You can even daisychain off of the 1link connection (ex. 1link to a DOS, then aquabus to the light)

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 15 foot cable from BRS is $22 How someone can buy an Apex and a sky and then have an issue with spending 22 more dollars is beyond me

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think OP was just wondering if there was a difference in the BT vs aquabus connection. In particular how it does not put the lights "into" your tank setup/ share the wifi.

Recently I had an issue where the PMUP cable was just not long enough (talking like 1 foot too short). Glad the cable was available... but it sure took some extra effort to pull out the wallet for that!

OP
OP
mattvd

mattvd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 15 foot cable from BRS is $22 How someone can buy an Apex and a sky and then have an issue with spending 22 more dollars is beyond me
Not a problem spending 22 more dollars but I wish that it was communicated that the brick is so close to the AB port, that way I could've purchased the extender with the lights. I'm sure it probably shows somewhere but never assumed it would be an issue. Now I have to wait 4-5 days for the extension cable to come in and will have to re-do the cable management to add in the AB cable, and can't operate the lights at all through the app because I don't want to set them up via bluetooth because it won't integrate in with my Apex system.

I can't imagine how anyone has the dual Neptune Sky setup into an Apex without the AB extender. Unless they just have a giant power brick sitting next to their Apex system. Why not include it with them and charge $22 more for the light? Or, let the light system get added to your Apex via bluetooth.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 111 42.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 127 48.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.2%
Back