Sick fox face

Dragonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this fox face for about 7 months now with no issues. Had him from a tank break down from lfs. Yesterday I noticed he was swimming sluggishly around the bottom of the tank and crashing into things.
On an unrelated note, saw my regal had what looked like the start of ick so set up the qt tank to pull him out but was fine 2 days after.
As I had the qt set up, Arnie (fox face) went in and I started copper treatment. He got a little stressed out but has settled down in the meantime. He's now swimming around a little better than he was with less crashing into things but still wont eat.

Any suggestions to what this could be? Visual I think he looks fine.

I've uploaded a link to a video I've taken of him in qt, sorry about the length. Wasn't sure how to directly upload to thread.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've had this fox face for about 7 months now with no issues. Had him from a tank break down from lfs. Yesterday I noticed he was swimming sluggishly around the bottom of the tank and crashing into things.
On an unrelated note, saw my regal had what looked like the start of ick so set up the qt tank to pull him out but was fine 2 days after.
As I had the qt set up, Arnie (fox face) went in and I started copper treatment. He got a little stressed out but has settled down in the meantime. He's now swimming around a little better than he was with less crashing into things but still wont eat.

I've uploaded a link to a video I've taken of him in qt, sorry about the length. Wasn't sure how to directly upload to thread.

Is this tank currently under treatment?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I see that lesion on its back that could be a bacterial infection, but I don't see any signs of ich. The fish isn't breathing fast, so that rules out some other issues.

You mentioned the fish was crashing into things. Could it be blind? You can test for this by moving around outside its tank, waving at it, etc., to see if it reacts.

Jay

OP
OP
D

Dragonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I see that lesion on its back that could be a bacterial infection, but I don't see any signs of ich. The fish isn't breathing fast, so that rules out some other issues.

You mentioned the fish was crashing into things. Could it be blind? You can test for this by moving around outside its tank, waving at it, etc., to see if it reacts.

Jay
Thanks Jay,

I've tried moving round the tank and he was unresponsive to this. I then stuck some coral tweezers rite next to him and he didn't budge until I touched him with them so.. think he may have gone blind :/ there anything I can do?? Or is that it for the poor guy

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay,

I've tried moving round the tank and he was unresponsive to this. I then stuck some coral tweezers rite next to him and he didn't budge until I touched him with them so.. think he may have gone blind :/ there anything I can do?? Or is that it for the poor guy

Blindness in fish cannot be treated, but in some cases, it does resolve on its own. In other cases, a really sick fish "acts" blind, but is actively dying - and I can't tell you exactly how to test for that, but if you can move some food near its mouth, and it takes a bite, then blindness is confirmed.

Jay

OP
OP
D

Dragonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blindness in fish cannot be treated, but in some cases, it does resolve on its own. In other cases, a really sick fish "acts" blind, but is actively dying - and I can't tell you exactly how to test for that, but if you can move some food near its mouth, and it takes a bite, then blindness is confirmed.

Jay
I tried feeding some nori earlier which didn't take, put it rite in his face. Normally loves the stuff

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I tried feeding some nori earlier which didn't take, put it rite in his face. Normally loves the stuff
Not a good sign an as you can guess if it does not eat, it will become thin and weak

bta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi there looks well stress has he got any where to take shelter/ hide ? I had a similar experience I used green algea sheets soaked in garlic . couple days later my boy was much better. I find these fish quite skittish mine now feeds out of my hand good luck

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back