Simple filter socks

Purpule Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,Randy.
I will use white wool felt for filter socks this have a harmful material?
Thanks

jess1111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very interesting indeed! what innovative idea you've been so kind to demonstrate and share. If you do not mind my asking, what type of filter medias do you use to fill the 'sock' post its creation?

OP
OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I'm not really trying to take any credit for the idea of making socks at home there's alot of posts on making them and many ways. I just wanted to show how they work with my tank. I don't run any media in the sock currently. I do run carbon in a nylon bag in my sump though.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,Randy.
I will use white wool felt for filter socks this have a harmful material?
Thanks

As long as it isn't treated with something, felted wool is OK. Wool is a protein, so even if bits and pieces get loose, it isn't going to hurt anything.

But as noted earlier int eh thread, you don't want a treated felt, such as kinds that are waterproof or antimildew.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone's thoughts on this stuff....
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1415177287.852501.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1415177340.119841.jpg

It states "100% cotton" and "natural". The lady in the fabric store couldn't give me any more info though.
It also says "no resin, spray, glue or bonding" but the lady was reluctant to say it didn't have any additives or chemicals though.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I can get my grandmother to sew me a few. I've just started using them. My first few were given to me. The amount of crap they pull is worth it.

OP
OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone can sow these tings guys. Super easy and there's all kinds of ways to use them. I only run one on weekends or when I'm moving stuff around. But there a must have. And 18 of them for 8 bucks is worth making them and throwing them away.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone's thoughts on this stuff....
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1415177287.852501.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1415177340.119841.jpg

It states "100% cotton" and "natural". The lady in the fabric store couldn't give me any more info though.
It also says "no resin, spray, glue or bonding" but the lady was reluctant to say it didn't have any additives or chemicals though.

I know a lot about fabric. All fabric - ALL, have sizing on it. You must prewash it. It can be prewash in plain water. No soap! But the sizing (starch) needs to be rinsed out for our use...

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! New build utilizes socks, first ever. I have a sewing machine coming too actually, so thanks for sharing this!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great share Heath!

For you who want a more porus sock you can use unbleached muslin. It's super cheap and will hold up for several washing but cheap enough to just throw away. About .50 per large sock.

OP
OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty for your fabric knowledge Jackie. I just took someone else's idea and tweaked it a bit and made a video. Made my girl feel involved also. I just like the idea of not washing and throwing them away! So cheap.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome :) I agree. I made 12 from felt and do wash them but they cost me $7 and I've been using them well over a year. Got my money's worth for sure. But I plan to go to muslin because it'll catch large particles while letting micro particles pass through keeping the good stuff in the water column.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will be pretty flimsy but if you make a dowel pocket you can use a small dowel to hold it in place the way your opening is set up by the drain pipe

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot about fabric. All fabric - ALL, have sizing on it. You must prewash it. It can be prewash in plain water. No soap! But the sizing (starch) needs to be rinsed out for our use...
Thanks for the tip! I'll wash it in the washing machine without detergent before I use it. Maybe a splash of bleach so it looks nice and white too :p

Nice! New build utilizes socks, first ever. I have a sewing machine coming too actually, so thanks for sharing this!

I'm in the same situation. Am yet to try them but as the new build comes together I'll be using this method. "Messy" eaters will hopefully benefit from the added filtration!

OP
OP
heathd.hd

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a sock Friday - sunday the other days I don't. Unless I mess around in the tank and stir crap up. Than I throw it in.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back