Simplicity DC skimmer

oxy71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new, running 1 week simplicity 120 DC skimmer. I have read they need a breakin period. Mine is making a buzzing sound and still puts lots of micro bubbles into the display. How do i help this mature? Water level is 8 inches.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine seems to like 7 inches deep, usually Simplicity skimmers break in quickly, try raising it up.

OP
OP
oxy71

oxy71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok got it up where the water level hits the bottom of the black ring. what about the motor sound, could it be i didnt tighten the screw on the diverter plate enough?

marinesnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It shouldn't be making a sound, all I hear on mine is the air intake. Are the rubber feet on the bottom? If not, it might be vibrating against the sump floor.

As far as the bubbles, it took a week for mine to subside. You could turn the outflow dial to reduce it in the meantime, but you may need to reduce the pump speed to compensate so that the water level in the skimmer doesn't overflow the skimmer cup.

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello oxy71,

Feel free to reach us directly for assistance if you need it! Ideally (fastest) via live chat on our website or email us at [email protected]. We are happy to help.

As mentioned bubbles are normal when its new, but also commonly caused by a poorly tuned skimmer. Here is our recommended steps to tune the skimmer:

1: With the pump at 100% and the wedge pipe arrow to arrow (wide open) slowly close the air valve.

2: While slowly closing the air valve, keep a close watch on the level of the foam and bubbles in the skimmer body.

3: Make very tiny changes (open and close) until you get the absolute peak height of the bubbles in your skimmer body.

4: Next, very slowly turn the wedge pipe valve (black knob) either direction.

5: When the bubbles start to reach the bottom of the collection cup, stop.

6: Wait 60 seconds and then make minor adjustments to keep the bubbles near the bottom of the collection cup.

7: After 10-15 minutes, you should start to see larger possibly brown bubbles forming at the top of the bubble column / foam head.

8: After 1-2 hours, the bubble column should rise and you should have a foam head that is at or near the top of the collection cup where you will start to collect skimmate.

The noise is a bit more tricky, if it persists once broken in let us know.

Back