Skimz skimmers

tomte25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what people’s experiences have been with Skimz skimmers. I bought a SN143 with my first tank about 7 months before the pump died on me. And to your likely response, yes, I did clean it with vinegar water occasionally. Unfortunately, I bought it from a LFS that has since gone out of business. So I purchased a replacement motor from an online retailer. It had issues making unusually loud operating noise. A replacement was sent. This one died after about a week of use giving a running dry error even though it was clearly not dry. So the retailer graciously sent me a 3rd one. This one has been fine for a few weeks.

I feel the Skimz motor has an unacceptable failure rate based on what I’ve seen so far. What has been other’s experience with their DC skimmer motors? Have I just been very unlucky? BTW, I love the skimmer design and my Skimz sump. So I’m not saying I wouldn’t buy their products again. I’m just curious what others have experienced.

Last edited:

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got an sm161 and I love it! After a couple of years, I broke the impeller trying to disassemble it. Replaced pump with sicce psk1000, because the impeller was hard to find and too expensive, and it’s a perfect match.

tank of gems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a skimz monzter 251 for over a year and love it. Its a skimming beast and havent had any problems at all

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 135 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back