OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am excited to watch this Chris!! How are the digits??

Thanks Missy, they are a little better today.

I hope the finger gets better! you're going to love the 210! I miss mine a lot.

Thanks Dave, I sure hope I'll like it. I'm already seeing that there is a lot more to aquascaping in this rather than my 120g.

Did it come With any lights?

Yep it came with a combo unit, 3x 250W MH and 4 x 96W CF with some DIY LED's added on.

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i cant believe you dont have this tank up and running already... letting a little thing like a finger slow you down lol.... No oregon tort for you :p

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha It's getting there, there is about 200 lbs of rock in it now, 50 lbs of sand and 20g of water....

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grrr, I just put another sixty gallons in the tank and its about twenty gallons short.... so close....

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice looking tank, hopefully you can get the finger taken care of, it looks painful

I've read a few thread where others boil their rock before using it, do you use saltwater, RO/DI, of just plain tap water ? what is the complete process for doing that ?

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used saltwater for about 3 batches and it got so dirty that I just dumped it and used tapwater for the rest. Basically I boiled each batch outside for 5 min, then put it in a Rubbermaid tub and pressure washed it off. Then I let it dry overnight. I'm smelling a little bit of a low tide smell off the tank now so I'm sure I'm in for quite the cycle.

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used saltwater for about 3 batches and it got so dirty that I just dumped it and used tapwater for the rest. Basically I boiled each batch outside for 5 min, then put it in a Rubbermaid tub and pressure washed it off. Then I let it dry overnight. I'm smelling a little bit of a low tide smell off the tank now so I'm sure I'm in for quite the cycle.

I have a blue clove outbreak and a few aiptasia to rid my tank of, do you think boiling the rock will do it or should I try something less aggresive ?

I've looked everywhere for fluke tablet online but can't locate 'em and I really don't want to kill out my GSP either...

I will be taking down my tank and moving to a new home soon, I plan to set up some smaller tanks to keep my fish and frags of my coral, I don't really want to start out fresh with my big tank since it's about 4 years old now and doing great, except for the pests, but I have no other choice :(

I'm not looking forward to the cycle again but since it is gonna be down a while and I can't possible keep all my rock in water, I figure I may as well rid it of all pest and maybe redo the 'scape to be more open....

sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread and clutter it up with my problems but really appreciate the advice....I promise to document my rebuild in my own thread when it happens :)

I really love seeing these large system come to life and will continue to follow along with your tank build, hopefully I can help out in some way, if not, maybe I can learn a thing or 3 for my rebuild and I wish you the best of luck with yours :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just added the last of the water and turned the return pump on. It's a new pump to me soooo I wasn't sure of the output and the pressure behind it... It's got a lot more than I expected and it pushed the spray bar "which I didn't have secured yet" out and over the front of the tank and it began to spray about 1,000 GPH onto me and the floor... It was quite comical!

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds to me that you need to do what I did. I dried the rocks in the sun for almost 3 full days first though.

I have a blue clove outbreak and a few aiptasia to rid my tank of, do you think boiling the rock will do it or should I try something less aggresive ?

I've looked everywhere for fluke tablet online but can't locate 'em and I really don't want to kill out my GSP either...

I will be taking down my tank and moving to a new home soon, I plan to set up some smaller tanks to keep my fish and frags of my coral, I don't really want to start out fresh with my big tank since it's about 4 years old now and doing great, except for the pests, but I have no other choice :(

I'm not looking forward to the cycle again but since it is gonna be down a while and I can't possible keep all my rock in water, I figure I may as well rid it of all pest and maybe redo the 'scape to be more open....

sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread and clutter it up with my problems but really appreciate the advice....I promise to document my rebuild in my own thread when it happens :)

I really love seeing these large system come to life and will continue to follow along with your tank build, hopefully I can help out in some way, if not, maybe I can learn a thing or 3 for my rebuild and I wish you the best of luck with yours :)

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's alive!

1072440_681808735166758_1095466069_o.jpg

This is what I've come up with so far for aquascaping, it's kinda hard to plan ahead because almost every rock in my 120g has coral on it and has to sit on top of this....

1064823_681808775166754_508759845_o.jpg

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I applaud you for taking a different look with your tank. Its a great idea not do the same looking reef, and being a leader of innovation and ideas. Way to go.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back