Slightly bloated clownfish - treatment or leave alone?

mcgullen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi R2R, I have two clownfish in quarantine. Ammonia and nitrite are both non-detectable. Both fish arrived 2 days ago and would only take a few pellets a day.

The smaller one of the two has a slightly bloated stomach. It is also less active. Its anus is also more visible than the normal clownfish I have seen.

I suspect this is a mild case of systematic bacterial infection. Could someone please confirm?

If so, would treatment be necessary or should I hold off? My concern is that the quarantine tank is already dosed with Cupramine. The addition of antibiotics many be too stressful.

Btw, I have access to kanamycin, enrofloxacin and metronidazole. I do not have access to Seachem Focus so can’t really bind antibiotics to pellets with ease or precision.

Thank you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Hi R2R, I have two clownfish in quarantine. Ammonia and nitrite are both non-detectable. Both fish arrived 2 days ago and would only take a few pellets a day.

The smaller one of the two has a slightly bloated stomach. It is also less active. Its anus is also more visible than the normal clownfish I have seen.

I suspect this is a mild case of systematic bacterial infection. Could someone please confirm?

If so, would treatment be necessary or should I hold off? My concern is that the quarantine tank is already dosed with Cupramine. The addition of antibiotics many be too stressful.

Btw, I have access to kanamycin, enrofloxacin and metronidazole. I do not have access to Seachem Focus so can’t really bind antibiotics to pellets with ease or precision.

Thank you!

Looks like a fish that is either full or has excess body fluid and constpiation. Can’t see the anal area in video to rule out rectal prolapse.
When did you start to notice this and is fish eating?
If eating, feeding brine shrimp will help loosen any blockage

OP
OP
mcgullen

mcgullen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a fish that is either full or has excess body fluid and constpiation. Can’t see the anal area in video to rule out rectal prolapse.
When did you start to notice this and is fish eating?
If eating, feeding brine shrimp will help loosen any blockage
Noticed it yesterday. The fish would take a few pellets a day. Haven’t tried brine shrimp yet.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Noticed it yesterday. The fish would take a few pellets a day. Haven’t tried brine shrimp yet.
Are you feeding pellets only ?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
In QT yes. Trying to keep ammonia low.
The pellets may be causing the issue with constipation and brine shrimp will help. Also feed LRS fish frenzy, small plankton and mysis shrimp.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In QT yes. Trying to keep ammonia low.

Pellets are actually a pretty dense food and will produce more ammonia by weight than frozen foods will. Try the brine shrimp to see if it is constipation.

Other causes of bloating, like ascites from organ failure, are not treatable.

Jay

OP
OP
mcgullen

mcgullen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A follow-up: the issue was resolved. I ended up dosing Kanaplex according to packet instructions twice, 48 hours apart, with a 25% water change before the second dose. The slightly bloated stomach improved gradually during treatment and was fully resolved at the end. So the issue could be an acute bacterial infection leading to kidney problems.

Thanks everyone for the help!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back