Small white fluff on one of my horses. What is it?

Reefhabit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed a small white fluffy mass on the skin of my yellow horse. I basted it and it flew right off and underneath is a small open wound or ulcer the size of a 1mm pebble. There are only sea horses in the tank and one fire goby so I don't know it was from fighting. I noticed that the tank got a little too warm so I gradually lowered temps. I treated the horse with some Marine Melafix. Hope it stops what ever it is.

Peka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see what looks like an ulcer on your horse, you need to remove it from the display tank and put it in a hospital tank.. slowly bring that water temp down to 68 degrees. You probably need to treat this horse with antibiotics. Can you post a picture of the "ulcer"? Is the horse eating? I would start looking for some adult brine to gutload with meds for the horse. If it looks like an open wound, I would treat for bacterial infection to be safe and use furan-2 for 10 days minimum and re-evaluate. Gutload the adult brine with the furan-2 and feed it to the horse. Make sure to do 50% water change on the tank daily and watch the ammonia levels.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back