Smaller vs larger tank

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have. Red Sea 425xl(4ft x 2 x 2). Keeping N eye out for a deal on a 6 or 8 x 2 x 2 acrylic.
What should I know about the increase in size other than more expensive to run and setup? I want a larger tank more for the fish than to add even more coral so I probably will go a little light on the lights and have sticks In the couple
Of soot lights they will have enough light, then lps and low light coral In the rest.
What advice for a larger tank?
What do you wish someone had told
You before you started it?
What should I think about that I may not already.

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Check support of floor to make sure it can handle the weight. Remember, weight of tank+ weight of salt water (8lbs per gallon), + pounds of rock and sand should be considered
2. Get 6-8 people to hep carry fish tank to desired spot.
3. Bigger tanks=less water chemistry problems that's true, but keep in mind, small problems left undealt with turn into large problems which are large headaches.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are actually easier to maintain I find because everything is much bigger at least once its up and running. I have 2 large systems.

I hardly have to do anything these days other than monitor and minor maintenance, infact I hardly ever even clean the skimmer out, it doesn’t seem to make any noticeable difference to performance! But Im not necessarily recommending this….!

If you can automate as much as possible that will make things easier, like auto water changes etc

They can be expensive to set up and run, but you can make your own alkalinity mixes etc which can save a fortune

I tried a calcium reactor but its just something to maintain and go wrong, (Deltec Twin Tech) so I changed back to normal dosing and use my own mixes.

OP
OP
L

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Check support of floor to make sure it can handle the weight. Remember, weight of tank+ weight of salt water (8lbs per gallon), + pounds of rock and sand should be considered
3. Bigger tanks=less water chemistry problems that's true, but keep in mind, small problems left undealt with turn into large problems which are large headaches.

Yeah. I’m hoping for a second floor (main floor) install but if it can’t it will go on the first floor, which has a concrete foundation. I will be hiring a structural engineer to inspect for the second floor install.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I only run large tanks and main concern is weight.
Advantage will be capacity of water-fish and coral and longer time to build nitrate and ammonia making system more forgiving.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stairs + large tank moving sucks. Hire insured movers if needed. Make sure it's full replacement value, a lot of them are only partial coverage.

OP
OP
L

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stairs + large tank moving sucks. Hire insured movers if needed. Make sure it's full replacement value, a lot of them are only partial coverage.
I’m going acrylic. Weight won’t be much of a concern for me and the wife I think.

OP
OP
L

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only run large tanks and main concern is weight.
Advantage will be capacity of water-fish and coral and longer time to build nitrate and ammonia making system more forgiving.
Yeah, I hope though it will be capable of being a second floor tank. I may get lucky as the location is against a wall that is structural as the other side of the wall butts against the bottom of the roof line and the garage wall. It’s pretty much in line with the attic. I’m actually thinking of either running the tank down to the current fish room below the attic and using that for sump and all or maybe rear access to the underneath of the tank from the attic.
Lots of ideas floating g around my head. One thing for sure, a structural engineer will be involved and I’m not going to guess on weight tolerances.
This tank will be slow going as it will be an accent piece in the sitting room of our house hopefully.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back