So I have a crazy idea

mister_pikel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got my first reef tank and it’s a fluval evo 13.5. I love the size as it fits perfectly on my nightstand and I get to fall asleep every night looking at a coral reef which imo is heaven. I’ve heard many people say that these nano tanks can be tricky as they can change water parameters quicker because of the tinier volume which makes sense. Well the baskets for chamber 1 and 2 are 120$ combined so instead of buying those I got to thinking. What if I built my own sump (which I have plenty of room for under my bed) out of a 20 gallon tank. It would definitely be overkill but it would add more water volume which would be the main reason I would be doing this. I was also thinking if I did that I could remove the back wall to the chambers creating an even bigger display area in the tank. So my questions are these 1: I know it’s possible to remove the back wall in the evo but would it somehow impede on the structural integrity of the tank? 2: I would drill holes for the input and output for the sump and I’ve never drilled holes in glass before but it looks pretty straightforward as I have machinery experience so has anyone ever had any problems drilling the holes in glass? 3: am I being crazy? Like I said before I know this is overkill but I found everything I need on Amazon to make the sump, the plumping, and everything else for a total of 130$ Minus the actually tank so the price is not an issue but is it crazy overkill? I just feel like if it were to keep the tank much more stable then it would be worth the money. Sorry for my long story/idea but does anyone have any input? Thanks!

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O you’re crazy! Welcome to the saltwater addiction! Drilling isn’t too bad. Take it slow and keep it wet!

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got my first reef tank and it’s a fluval evo 13.5. I love the size as it fits perfectly on my nightstand and I get to fall asleep every night looking at a coral reef which imo is heaven. I’ve heard many people say that these nano tanks can be tricky as they can change water parameters quicker because of the tinier volume which makes sense. Well the baskets for chamber 1 and 2 are 120$ combined so instead of buying those I got to thinking. What if I built my own sump (which I have plenty of room for under my bed) out of a 20 gallon tank. It would definitely be overkill but it would add more water volume which would be the main reason I would be doing this. I was also thinking if I did that I could remove the back wall to the chambers creating an even bigger display area in the tank. So my questions are these 1: I know it’s possible to remove the back wall in the evo but would it somehow impede on the structural integrity of the tank? 2: I would drill holes for the input and output for the sump and I’ve never drilled holes in glass before but it looks pretty straightforward as I have machinery experience so has anyone ever had any problems drilling the holes in glass? 3: am I being crazy? Like I said before I know this is overkill but I found everything I need on Amazon to make the sump, the plumping, and everything else for a total of 130$ Minus the actually tank so the price is not an issue but is it crazy overkill? I just feel like if it were to keep the tank much more stable then it would be worth the money. Sorry for my long story/idea but does anyone have any input? Thanks!
I would just buy a bigger tank, pulling out the wall will remove the filter aspect of the AIO. You could always use the evo as a sump and the 20g as your dt. Good luck with whatever you do.

OP
OP
M

mister_pikel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just buy a bigger tank, pulling out the wall will remove the filter aspect of the AIO. You could always use the evo as a sump and the 20g as your dt. Good luck with whatever you do.
Like I said tho it’s the perfect size for my nightstand, a 20 gallon would just be a little too big and I really like the look of the evo with the floating aspect and the rimless design my idea is basically to turn the evo from a aio to just a regular tank with a sump hooked up. I was just wondering if that would be possible or I would risk destroying the tank by doing it

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said tho it’s the perfect size for my nightstand, a 20 gallon would just be a little too big and I really like the look of the evo with the floating aspect and the rimless design my idea is basically to turn the evo from a aio to just a regular tank with a sump hooked up. I was just wondering if that would be possible or I would risk destroying the tank by doing it
Fair enough, I was just thinking of an easier route. The design of the evo is great( I have one). I haven’t done any tank mods so I can't say if it's possible. If you do go ahead with your plans please post some pics, i'd love to see it.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be carefull, 5mm glass is tricky to drill, specialy close to edges....

Not hard, not impossible, but tricky.....

Zarabyte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great the sump just adds volume to your tank mostly so make it as big as your bed but placing it under a bed will be hard to maintain. As for ripping apart the existing filter I think it's a bad idea. Another idea you can maybe play with is custome building your own tank , there are alot of helpful people on here that can help you out. We'll anyhow will be great to see what you do usually if someone has their heart set to doing something they are going to do it no mater what who says.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mention fluctuation in water parameters. But even with a sump, you will still have that fluctuation, as it is caused by evaporation.

I think a different tank would be less work.

Zarabyte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I have a stupid idea of turning a bed into a tank .GET OUT MY HEAD STUPID IDEA!!!! To late it's stuck there now.

Triple.T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This right here, you're going through a lot to gain very little. I'd go buy a 40G breeder or 20G during petco sale and use my 20G sump for that.

I understand this size thing, I just feel like once you do all this, you'll realize it was kinda pointless on a 13.5 no pun intended. A lot more then what it's worth and what you're going to gain when looking at the bigger picture. GL with whatever you choose .

OP
OP
M

mister_pikel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough, I was just thinking of an easier route. The design of the evo is great( I have one). I haven’t done any tank mods so I can't say if it's possible. If you do go ahead with your plans please post some pics, i'd love to see it.
It definitely would be easier to go the other route but who doesn’t like a challenge ;) I also plan on adding some led strip lights under the floating part of the tank to add to the atheistic

OP
OP
M

mister_pikel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mention fluctuation in water parameters. But even with a sump, you will still have that fluctuation, as it is caused by evaporation.

I think a different tank would be less work.
I have an ato hooked up so evaporation wouldn’t be an issue

OP
OP
M

mister_pikel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great the sump just adds volume to your tank mostly so make it as big as your bed but placing it under a bed will be hard to maintain. As for ripping apart the existing filter I think it's a bad idea. Another idea you can maybe play with is custome building your own tank , there are alot of helpful people on here that can help you out. We'll anyhow will be great to see what you do usually if someone has their heart set to doing something they are going to do it no mater what who says.
It would actually kind of work out however because I have one of those smart beds with the adjustable base so I can fold it all the way up and easily access where the sump would be

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back