So much poop

synapticfire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fairly new to this. I see pictures of nice clean sand beds on so many posts. My sand is covered in poop. (And diatoms/algae but that will hopefully clear up on its own)
I have a 26g nano. Some coral. A tiger conch, a yellow coris wrasse and a tailspot blenny. The blenny is a poop machine. Little black turds everywhere. I know it is him. I have seen him.
Do I just have to suction that crap up everyday? Am I missing something? Cleaning once a week during water change doesn’t seem to be enough.
I don’t really want to increase my flow. Corals seem really happy with the flow. Especially my torch. Any advice?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am fairly new to this. I see pictures of nice clean sand beds on so many posts. My sand is covered in poop. (And diatoms/algae but that will hopefully clear up on its own)
I have a 26g nano. Some coral. A tiger conch, a yellow coris wrasse and a tailspot blenny. The blenny is a poop machine. Little black turds everywhere. I know it is him. I have seen him.
Do I just have to suction that crap up everyday? Am I missing something? Cleaning once a week during water change doesn’t seem to be enough.
I don’t really want to increase my flow. Corals seem really happy with the flow. Especially my torch. Any advice?
Please post a pic or two under white light intensity for best assessment. If that much, may be lack of water movement, filtration or both.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything dropping to the sand, to me, is indication of lack of flow. Should have good flow to keep it in the water and good filtration to remove the solids and dissolved organics

taytay_1119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
God do I know the poopy sand bed all too well. I had a saltwater Molly and good lord all it did was crap. Tried to lower a wave maker to circulate it but the corals weren’t too happy or it would blow sand or poop would get stuck in a dead spot under rocks. Had to suck it out or blow up into the water column so it’d get sucked into the filter.

OP
OP
S

synapticfire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post a pic or two under white light intensity for best assessment. If that much, may be lack of water movement, filtration or both.
I posted a few pics from this morning. The snails churned it up a bit overnight.
But there’s still some crap there.
I also cranked the flow up on my Hygger mini. Stirred up a bunch of stuff, so I am guessing flow is my issue.

Attachments

• IMG_4515.jpeg
    IMG_4515.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4513.jpeg
    IMG_4513.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 22

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I posted a few pics from this morning. The snails churned it up a bit overnight.
But there’s still some crap there.
I also cranked the flow up on my Hygger mini. Stirred up a bunch of stuff, so I am guessing flow is my issue.
Yes- broken up sediment and flow is likely playing a role. Pump should not stir the sand but roll the sediment forcing it to the overflow thereby minimizing the sediment

OP
OP
S

synapticfire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding ? If you feed frozen, you’ll get cottony white poops that disperse well and get caught more easily in filter.
Interesting. Feeding flakes and Hikari pellets. But the blenny munches in Algae all day.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 36 40.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 44 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back