SO Says Get a Bigger Tank! Help Quick!

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made it a year with these poor guys in a BC 14 (being encouraged NOT to upgrade the tank by the person who gave it to me), am finally in my larger place and hubby just said a bigger tank would fit on my stand!!!! hahaha I mean I KNOW that was the idea lol So my FIRST tank purchase questions:

Where to start?
- in San Francisco apartment where a delivery from an online order would not fit into the delivery lockers and should not be seen by the front desk and other residents …

- so if picking up at a LFS (which one?! lol) and
- what do I ask at the store? I know to check the box for dings -do I have them open the box and show me too?
- Make sure stand is level (there are some screws in the top- do i put a mat under the BC 32?
- at home, fill with water and how long to let sit to test water tightness & possible leaks fr unevenness? 3 days? a week?
- move to new tank (live rock first, toss the old sand (will see how many critters i can save ), add new sand, mix of water from old tank and new, then my livestock
- After how many days can i say this tank is all set and toss the old one? I’d love to keep it as QT but hubby’s final sticking point is when can the old one go? Haha how long do we need 2 tanks in the house hahaha

I want a BC 32, my stand is 24x24 aqueon and says it holds a 60g cube! So should be good to go once I’m clear on some of these basics :D

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some reefers like to swap it over in one day. I don’t like that idea. Keep 2 up until the new one is cycled then transfer over what you can. Expert tip, a refugium or sump is technically still part of the same system so it isn’t really another tank.

Vinaka_vakalevu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for tanks I think there are better options than the BC. The Local fish shops I’d go to look at tanks are Neptunes Aquatic in San Jose or Aquatic Collection Hayward.

Look at the IM 25 lagoon 23”x20”x11” or their about. With 2 noo psyche k7 minis and you’d be set

As to timing you’ll get a bunch of different answers but I transferred a tank this morning with established rock and bio media basket from the rear “sump” of the old tank. The old tank has already been washed out with RODI dried and put away to be used as a qt tank when needed. Watch for any ammonia spikes but your established rock should be able to handle the load if you’re not adding any new fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for tanks I think there are better options than the BC. The Local fish shops I’d go to look at tanks are Neptunes Aquatic in San Jose or Aquatic Collection Hayward.

Look at the IM 25 lagoon 23”x20”x11” or their about. With 2 noo psyche k7 minis and you’d be set

As to timing you’ll get a bunch of different answers but I transferred a tank this morning with established rock and bio media basket from the rear “sump” of the old tank. The old tank has already been washed out with RODI dried and put away to be used as a qt tank when needed. Watch for any ammonia spikes but your established rock should be able to handle the load if you’re not adding any new fish.
Thanks! i was thinking same day swap (once I know the tank is not going to leak etc). It’s a 10yr old established tank & the rock has been in previous tanks before that so I’m sure they’re good to go :)

I’m leaning towards the BC since the lid with lights in it helps prevent evaporation, surprises (runaway hermits lol), and also keeps the temp perfect in our apartments (so far).

EDIT- sorry i see you put yours away same day grrr and this one comes with the self leveling mat which i really like too… i keep getting hung up on the lids!

I guess i just need to clarify how long most people let the new tank stand holding water before deeming it ready for the transfer… Do you also have them open the box and show you the tank if buying in the store? This is my first tank purchase:)

If I can find a white glove delivery I might order online… those IMs always look tempting!!! Hmmm

Thanks so much!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some reefers like to swap it over in one day. I don’t like that idea. Keep 2 up until the new one is cycled then transfer over what you can. Expert tip, a refugium or sump is technically still part of the same system so it isn’t really another tank.
Hahah i’ll need to implement this “one tank” strategy once i’m a bit more advanced and have a little more space hahaha i like the way you think! :)

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back