Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know anything about these?

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been ages since I seen these available (and I'm pretty sure it was funnily enough a tanked episode where they went to segrest and I caught a glimpse of a tank full of them in the background.. )

I have no clue where to get them, maybe it's possible through an LFS special order, but they need a pretty big setup with a submerged section and a dry section, they're like keeping uca or gecarcinus sp. with full saltwater and a lot of open sand space.

They're not fully aquatic, and will make their burrows in the dry sand. Their description is pretty accurate on that page. I never seen the asian kind for sale only the australian kind, which is kinda tricky to import nowadays.

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know anything about these?
They would not survive in a normal aquarium - these guys live on the beach in the sand; they basically sift the wet sand for tiny food particles at low tide and burrow in an air bubble to survive high tide. They generally live in fine substrate beaches in large numbers.

As mentioned, you may be able to keep one water section and one sand section and just wet the sand/add feed to the sand daily, or you may be able to set up a tide schedule and waves to more closely emulate their natural habitat (the link below could help with this if you wanted to try it):

Back