Source of high lithium?

Try'nNotToKillStuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Reef2Reef community. I recently had a Triton Lab ICP-OES test done on my water and it stated that my tank had dangerously high lithium. It said the source of contamination could be any of the following:

1. Trace element overdose / contamination
2. Contaminated salts / contaminated magnesium salts
3. Artificial Rock/ Reef ceramics
4. Food

I would appreciate help in tracking down the culprit. I think I can eliminate #3, because I've had the tank for five years, didn't add anything new, and this is the first ICP-OES test identifying the issue. As to #1, I dose: Brightwell products: Replenish, BoroChrom, Potassion, and Lugol's Solution. For Ca, KH, Mag, I dose a solution mixed by my LFS.
As to #2, I use a combination of Red Sea and Tropic Marin -- I mix them to lower the KH to around 9.
As to #4, I feed a variety of foods. Those are: Brigtwell's Coral Amino, Polyp Labs Reef-Roids, Coral Frenzy .5mm pellets, Fauna Marin Ultra Grow +Color, Rod's Food, Hikari Jumbo mysis shrimp, San Francisco Bay Brand's frozen fish eggs, frozen cyclops, squid, and shrimp.

Any thoughts? I suppose one route would be to switch over to other brands for everything to see if that makes a difference, but I'd like to avoid that.

Scott

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Dangerously" is your word, right? I don't believe lithium is "dangerously" high. It is pretty nontoxic, both in your reef and to most organisms.

Elevated lithium is present in many if not most salt mixes made in the USA. I would not be concerned with it.

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my tanks reached a level of 2500 and I so no adverse effects. That same tank is currently at 549 and the tank is doing exceptionally well. My source of lithium ended up being from my magnesium dosing with a specific product.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my tanks reached a level of 2500 and I so no adverse effects. That same tank is currently at 549 and the tank is doing exceptionally well. My source of lithium ended up being from my magnesium dosing with a specific product.
Can you share which magnesium product was the culprit?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 132 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 107 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back