Spinoid Worms Causing Candy Cane Tissue Recession

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to figure out why my Candy Canes have been receding and slowly pulling off the skeleton (an almost two headed frag). I noticed tonight when the lights were off that it appears there is a colony of spinoid worms (I’m pretty sure because the tentacles are in pairs and they are only a few millimeters long) all over the stalk of the frag. I’m not sure if they started there and have irritated the coral and are the reason for its recession, or if another issue caused them to recede and the spinoids took advantage of the surface area. They really only seem to be colonizing the stalk, as I don’t see any on the surrounding rock.

Anyone else have experience with these? I have also heard there is a boring variety, so I’d be interested if that’s what they are.

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they’re inside the coral, then they’re Coral-boring Spionid Worms:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve been trying to figure out why my Candy Canes have been receding and slowly pulling off the skeleton (an almost two headed frag). I noticed tonight when the lights were off that it appears there is a colony of spinoid worms (I’m pretty sure because the tentacles are in pairs and they are only a few millimeters long) all over the stalk of the frag. I’m not sure if they started there and have irritated the coral and are the reason for its recession, or if another issue caused them to recede and the spinoids took advantage of the surface area. They really only seem to be colonizing the stalk, as I don’t see any on the surrounding rock.

Anyone else have experience with these? I have also heard there is a boring variety, so I’d be interested if that’s what they are.
They favor stalks and feed off the slime on coral skeleton and also algae. If frag is removeable, place it in container of tank water and scrape them off carefully with a Paring knife or similar. They come off easily

OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They favor stalks and feed off the slime on coral skeleton and also algae. If frag is removeable, place it in container of tank water and scrape them off carefully with a Paring knife or similar. They come off easily

The coral has receded to the point where I can see the tips of the skeleton. Should I try removing it and doing that, or is it already too far gone? I’ve been feeding it aminos and mysis and it seems to be looking puffier, but no new tissue growth from what I can see.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot remove spionids unless you want to chop up the coral. If the coral is dying anyway, then you may have nothing to lose.

OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot remove spionids unless you want to chop up the coral. If the coral is dying anyway, then you may have nothing to lose.
That’s where I’m wondering, if it’s just two sickly heads of Candy Cane that cost $30 or less per frag, it may be better just to get rid of the frag. I feel like the extra stress probably wouldn’t do it well.

Do you think the spinoids could have caused the recession of the coral?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The coral has receded to the point where I can see the tips of the skeleton. Should I try removing it and doing that, or is it already too far gone? I’ve been feeding it aminos and mysis and it seems to be looking puffier, but no new tissue growth from what I can see.
Please provide a pic of the coral under white light intensity showing what you describe

OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please provide a pic of the coral under white light intensity showing what you describe

I wish I could, but I can’t get a good angle on it. They look like those from this post:

But this is what the polyps currently look like:

image.jpg

There is some protruding skeleton through both the heads and some showing in between them. They have no tissue around the stalk.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I wish I could, but I can’t get a good angle on it. They look like those from this post:

But this is what the polyps currently look like:

image.jpg

There is some protruding skeleton through both the heads and some showing in between them. They have no tissue around the stalk.
The heads look normal. Would you be able to provide side view of worms you mention and area od recession?

OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The heads look normal. Would you be able to provide side view of worms you mention and area od recession?

I removed it because I feel that the worms would make it into my rock, which would give me a permanent issue, but since I have it out, here it is:

image.jpg

You can see along the sides all of the worms.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I removed it because I feel that the worms would make it into my rock, which would give me a permanent issue, but since I have it out, here it is:

image.jpg

You can see along the sides all of the worms.
I see spirobid, tube and coral boring worms. You appear to have it in a container of tank water. You can attempt lugols iodine dip in same container. I see the slight recession of tissue and can be from irritation from worms but also too much flow, elevated phosphate, low calcium as examples

OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see spirobid, tube and coral boring worms. You appear to have it in a container of tank water. You can attempt lugols iodine dip in same container. I see the slight recession of tissue and can be from irritation from worms but also too much flow, elevated phosphate, low calcium as examples

Yeah, my parameters have been stable and flow is low in that location. That’s why I was leaning towards the worms.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back