SPS are pale, zero nitrates and still have algae.

OP
OP
K

KatoJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Have you tested the alk swing it causes? 32ml isn't much but if it's causing huge swings it may be a problem also. You doing bi carbonate, carbonate or kalk?
I haven’t tested the alk swing. Can I do that immediately after or wait an hour or so to let it disperse?

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another issue to consider is the ratio between Nitrates to Phos (10:1, say, Nitrates=1 and Phos=0.1). Increasing Nitrates above said ratio can lead to slower coral growth. THAT being said, there are many paths to Nirvana. As stated, CUC additions necessary. Really, what you have is a balancing equation.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I haven’t tested the alk swing. Can I do that immediately after or wait an hour or so to let it disperse?
An easy way to see is test before your doser doses (assuming doser) in the a.m. and then again in the p.m. however it's set up, you just don't want to test immediately after a dose because it will skew the numbers.

OP
OP
K

KatoJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another issue to consider is the ratio between Nitrates to Phos (10:1, say, Nitrates=1 and Phos=0.1). Increasing Nitrates above said ratio can lead to slower coral growth. THAT being said, there are many paths to Nirvana. As stated, CUC additions necessary. Really, what you have is a balancing equation.
That is consistent with what I’ve read. I just haven’t got to the part where I have any nitrates yet! I’m starting to realize there’s more nuance to the recipe than I thought I suppose and like you said, many was to get there.

OP
OP
K

KatoJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - previous to starting this thread I had cut back my fuge lighting duration by half, removed half the chaeto, doubled feedings and reduced the time the skimmer was. Over a two week period my nitrates still tested at 0.

I have been dosing neonitro daily at half the recommended dose of the .5 increase calculation for the last 12 days. I test nitrates every other day and I’m still getting 0 most days and .1 on some days. Phosphates still pretty steady at .02

Unfortunately, some of my acros are not responding well to dosing. The slimer that was once a quite fluorescent green/yellow has lost all its fluorescence, turned mostly brown and even rtn’d a section (see attached pictures). Is this to be expected even if not ideal? I thought I was going slow by only doing half the recommended dose. Is this not slow enough? Would like to hear from anyone with experience in dosing NeoNitro specifically to bring nitrates up from zero. Should I stay the course and keep dosing? What would your recommended dose amount be? Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_6254.png
    IMG_6254.png
    718.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6255.png
    IMG_6255.png
    1,011.3 KB · Views: 16

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I read three pages and all I see is a need to add fish.

Algae means there isn't enough eating it

Pale coral and 0 nitrate means there isn't enough food (or fish waste)

I don't see what else is needed to be said beyond that

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - previous to starting this thread I had cut back my fuge lighting duration by half, removed half the chaeto, doubled feedings and reduced the time the skimmer was. Over a two week period my nitrates still tested at 0.

I have been dosing neonitro daily at half the recommended dose of the .5 increase calculation for the last 12 days. I test nitrates every other day and I’m still getting 0 most days and .1 on some days. Phosphates still pretty steady at .02

Unfortunately, some of my acros are not responding well to dosing. The slimer that was once a quite fluorescent green/yellow has lost all its fluorescence, turned mostly brown and even rtn’d a section (see attached pictures). Is this to be expected even if not ideal? I thought I was going slow by only doing half the recommended dose. Is this not slow enough? Would like to hear from anyone with experience in dosing NeoNitro specifically to bring nitrates up from zero. Should I stay the course and keep dosing? What would your recommended dose amount be? Any help is appreciated!

I would do larger doses at once.

OP
OP
K

KatoJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae means there isn't enough eating it

Pale coral and 0 nitrate means there isn't enough food (or fish waste)

I don't see what else is needed to be said beyond that
I guess I’m relatively new to the hobby and looking for answers. Part of that is understanding what my expectations should be when I make a change such as dosing nitrates. I’ve read through countless threads on these forums about low nutrients and they’re all the same. None of them document what the OP did to fix their problem, how long it took and what if any hurdles they had to overcome to get there. So when I see acros start to turn brown and rtn as a result of me dosing nitrates, naturally I’m concerned and looking for answers. I apologize if this is all so simple to you seasoned pros.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just add more fishes. My current PO4 is 0.02ppm and my NO3 is 0ppm. My display glass needs scrubbing every 2 days even I have both ATS and Refugium running due to me having very bright lights. My SPS are coloring up, not browning up; they are not pale either, cos they are taking in Nitrogenous waste (poop) from the fishes NOT the measurable NO3. Elevated NO3 is the culprit for brown SPS. I am not running any sock/filter roll and skimmer at the moment though.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not enough nutrients, not enough clean up crew. Dose ammonia, not nitrates.

It’s not a trace element imbalance and it certainly isn’t a nutrient ratio issue. There is no such thing as a nitrate to phosphate ratio. Such an old myth that needs to die out. Chasing a fake ratio has killed far more than it ever helped.

arcangelreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I’m relatively new to the hobby and looking for answers. Part of that is understanding what my expectations should be when I make a change such as dosing nitrates. I’ve read through countless threads on these forums about low nutrients and they’re all the same. None of them document what the OP did to fix their problem, how long it took and what if any hurdles they had to overcome to get there. So when I see acros start to turn brown and rtn as a result of me dosing nitrates, naturally I’m concerned and looking for answers. I apologize if this is all so simple to you seasoned pros.
Your acros are not turning brown and RTN because you dosed nitrates. They are doing this because they have been starving since you introduced them into the tank. What you did yesterday doesnt cause this. Its what you havent been doing for the weeks/months before thats causing this.

Your corals are starving. Your dose of 0.5 ppm is a drop in an ocean.
You need to get to a point you can actually register the nitrates and quickly.
Newer tanks are not the same as older mature tanks. Older tanks can run with really low nutrients because there is usually a ton of flora/fauna, coral, bacteria etc etc consuming and creating nutrients. The import is very high and consistent, well the export is enough to keep the detectable levels low.

Newer tanks do not have this balance. You need to have those nutrients present cause there is very little available and the little that is available will be taken up by bacterias and algaes much better and faster then any coral will get it.

Dose you tank with enough nitrate to hit 3-5ppm nitrate and 0.03-0.05 phos daily and test regularly to see where you are at. I would try to get to the point where you are in the 10ppm nitrate and 0.10 phos range. If you still arent registering anything you need to dose more. when you hit these numbers or exceed them adjust dosage accordingly to maintain it. I would also take the refuguim offline entirely. Its only working against you right now.

There is more nuance to this then can be said in a simple forum post but hopefully this can help you.
The suggestions for more fish is also very valid.

Ill finish this with the statement, this is my opinion alone, and is exactly what I would be doing if I were in your situation. YMMV

Last edited:

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree to get more fish . Yes they are expensive these days. I only saw 4 fish in your picture. But a 90 gallon can handle 2-3 times that . You don’t need to break the bank try Talbot demsels or a wrasse or springer demsels they are the least aggressive ones . Most sps tanks benefit from a cloud of fish .

anoldreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, i wouldnt shut down or change you refugium settings. I would think that those things growing in there will migrate to display tank if that environment changes too much. Better where they are.
You definitely need to get your nitrates/phosphates up.
Those shown in the attached are from a post by Shane SBB Corals.
Switch over to making your own additives.
As Randy Farley has mentioned, those Neonitro and Neophos are weak and expensive.
You can make gallons of similar/better products yourself. I posted pictures of the products that I have purchased from Amazon.
Don't be afraid to dose regularly a full dose until you get the readings up, but test daily until you get there.
Then continue to test and adjust until your readings level out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240505_150832_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240505_150832_Samsung Internet.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230827_205251_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230827_205251_Chrome.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20240505_150959_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240505_150959_Samsung Internet.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 8

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why anyone must dose nitrates and phosphates unless they have wall-to-wall mature colonies.

Just add fish.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back