Sps color when freshly got from import.

maddox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am little bit confused, I got this week my ordered sps colonie corals from Bali,
Bought them as
1)Oregon tort
2) ASD millepora
3) red wing millepora
4) yellow sarcophyton

When I got them they are all without colors is it normal? My sellet told that it will get colors in month, with orange filter I can see some red on rdd wing millepora and some orange on asd, but my oregon tort is not near any blue color, is it normal? I thought its already blue even in white spectrum, any ideas, does it really get colors later? While I bouht earlier yellow milleporas it was already yellow and just get greenish while not enought light was, but now I have more lights and yellow getting back. Adding pictures without filter and with orange filter. Even with orange filter they are all just blue color without any fluerecents? Does all sps when buy is without colors?

IMG_2959.jpeg
IMG_2958.jpeg IMG_2960.jpeg IMG_2961.jpeg IMG_6690.jpeg IMG_6707.jpeg IMG_6709.jpeg IMG_6708.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There stressed when traveling.
It takes many week to colour up.
Seems normal for any shipped Stoney’s.
The white one looks gone to me.
No white SPS.

Dipping when new also delays colour.
Again stressful events.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They lose color from shipping, usually become “browned out”, or very pale. It can take weeks to a few months for full color to return. Also the adaptation to your lighting can cause them to become colors completely different than expected.

I have seen some crazy transformations of things that arrive as pale or brown wild colonies and become incredible after a few months.

I do feel the white one in first pic might not be alive. Keep an eye out for polyps at night to confirm

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all look alive to me. I can see small polyp extensions but as others stated can take a few days or many months to acclimate with color. Mini colonies like those are harder to adapt and sustain in new environments. Frags ship much better and acclimate quicker.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely normal when dealing with wild colonies. They tend to get very pale initially, brown out for a fair bit of time and some colors up down the line.

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look fine. I bring in a couple boxes a year to increase the gene pool in my region - handing out frags to friends.

Many times an SPS coral can come in white or nearly so and under actinic/blue light they flouresce, like the first one in your series shows on its tips. Give them a few days to a couple weeks, ramping up the lights slowly so they can acclimate.

I usually provide some sort of feeding regimen as well, lately using Shellfish diet 1800 from Reed Mariculture. My frag/holding system also houses a collection of clams, oysters, and scallops and everbody likes thus stuff. Just "don't overdo it" with the feeding.
Cheers,
Ray

OP
OP
M

maddox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your answer, will be patient ant try to keep stable parameters.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your answer, will be patient ant try to keep stable parameters.
By the way, I spent about 30 seconds tweaking one of your photos and it came out like this.
1711826024079.jpeg

With an orange lens and some more diligence it could look a lot more colorful. Often times when the exporters send out pictures of stuff they look nothing like real life. Always ask for pics under whites is my advice.

OP
OP
M

maddox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I spent about 30 seconds tweaking one of your photos and it came out like this.
1711826024079.jpeg

With an orange lens and some more diligence it could look a lot more colorful. Often times when the exporters send out pictures of stuff they look nothing like real life. Always ask for pics under whites is my advice.
Have you used lightroom?
But there are lot of sps which colors are very boring under white light, like tenuis species am I right?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back