SPS/parameters/salt

Joiningsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be in the wrong place but let’s see.

I am about to be adding water in my new tank that will focus mainly on SPS for the first time. What I’m curious about is finding the right salt to meet my needs. As of now I have IO Reef Crystals ready to go but realizing it produces a high alk and want to eliminate those swings from water changes once the tank is settled in as I don’t think I’ll be running alk that high. For now I’m visioning a 8-9 alk range.

Any thoughts on salt? Are my concerns being blow out of proportion.

Any insight is appreciated!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use coral pro salt and unless you are a very experienced reefer, you probably want to avoid SPS corals until at least 6 months or a year. Your tank will be very unstable with a variety of ugly phases the first year.

OP
OP
J

Joiningsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef crystals and don’t have any issues with large water changes my alk stays around 8-9
Good to hear, everything I was reading online stated it mixes to like 12-13.
I use coral pro salt and unless you are a very experienced reefer, you probably want to avoid SPS corals until at least 6 months or a year. Your tank will be very unstable with a variety of ugly phases the first year.
Yea I’ve been using coral pro in my current tanks, but yes this will be my first experience with a SPS dominate tank, don’t plan on any sticks to be in there until I start seeing purple at minimum. Just would like to get levels where I want them and stable from the beginning.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using IO reef crystals since I started my tank up last summer. I'm on my 3rd bucket of salt, and the alk always mixes up around 8.0 for me when I get to 35ppt salinity.

I'm not sure where the internet got it's alk numbers for numbers reef crystals, but I saw the same thing you did and it confused me at first. I mean, the internet can't possibly be wrong :oops:

OP
OP
J

Joiningsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using IO reef crystals since I started my tank up last summer. I'm on my 3rd bucket of salt, and the alk always mixes up around 8.0 for me when I get to 35ppt salinity.

I'm not sure where the internet got it's alk numbers for numbers reef crystals, but I saw the same thing you did and it confused me at first. I mean, the internet can't possibly be wrong :oops:
Yea this is what I’ve seen in multiple locations. Glad to hear so far it mixes so far to the 8-9 range for you guys. Guess there’s one way to find out when I fill the tank and go from there

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 151 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back