View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Specs

• CAD Lights 40g Artisan.
  • 10mm starfire 'quality' glass.
  • 36" x 16" x 16"
  • Rimless, braceless, frameless, whatever you wanna call it!
  • 3/4'' dual Loc-Line returns
  • 1" Durso drain
  • Red BioTek Marine Sch 40 PVC and white fittings
  • Check valve on return and white sch 40 unions throughout
  • Custom Stand 48" x 21" x 36" with isolated electronics cabinet on the side
  • Eshopps 3rd Gen ADV-200 sump in white

Purification

• Spectra Pure 5 stage MaxCap 90 gpd RO/DI

Controller, Automation, and Monitoring

• Neptune Systems Apex Aqua Controller
  • Lab Grade pH Probe
  • Lab Grade Temp Probe
  • Lab Grade ORP Probe
  • Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 ATO
  • DOS Dosing and Fluid Metering System by Neptune

Lighting

• Aqua Illumination Prime in white x 2 with Tank Mount
  • Kessil A160WE Tuna Blue with Gooseneck Mount, controlled by Apex
Flow

• EcoTech Marine VorTech MP10wQD x2
  • Reef Octopus RODC 3500 Controllable Return Pump 956gph max

Filtration

• Vertex Omega 130 Skimmer
  • BRS Media Reactors x 3 (carbon, gfo, bio pellets)

Heating and Cooling

• Finnex 350w Titanium heater
  • 2x80mm case fans with red cold cathode lights

Aquascpape
  • BRS Pukani dry rock 15lb
  • CaribSea Oolitic Select 30lb sand
  • CaribSea Fiji Pink 15lb sifted
Soon to Come

• Red and White acrylic ATO reservoir
  • DOS Dosing cylinders
All of the soon to come is subject to change as my ideas change on how to go about this whole thing. So input on my choices is welcome!

Story

This will be the rebirth of what I have always considered to be my dream nano tank, this time taking care to do things right the first time. I will be slowly progressing the build making sure that things are done with care to both function and form. I want the tank and sump to look just as nice as the display. I also need this reef to work better with my much more busy schedule and will need to automate more than I ever have had a need to. In the past I have been rushed in my builds eager to get wet, and my tanks have suffered severe design flaws as a result. I believe I have learned my lesson this time and intend to pace my self. Since the 16 Bow TOTM I have not been able to replicate its success or beauty I keep striving to reattain that, hopefully this time I will get it right. After loosing basically all my livestock due to several catastrophes, sump crack, several moves, temp, and salinity swings and general neglect after loosing a several year long battle to byropsis, red bugs, and nudibranchs to name a few some where along the line I lost my love of reefing. After almost 5 years of reefing funk trying to regain interest into a broken system, revisiting old methods that clearly don't work with my new schedule, I just couldn't love it any more. I almost despised my IM 38, my wonderful wife limped it along hoping I would get my mojo back. My good friend and fellow reefer poked and prodded me for a few years trying to get me back into the hobby, eventually doing a trade for a spare RO/DI to build my stand. I came home on the day of my anniversary and he had left it in our living room as a happy anniversary and belated wedding gift. It sparked something in me to dig the CAD out of the garage and try again, all part of his ploy I'm sure. With the blessing of my wife, despite what our bank account would look like after I was done, she let me buy up all the equipment to get started. Spouses to reefers must be patient people, don't know if I could do it with out her being so supportive. A huge thank you is owed to all my friends, family, and the community of awesome reefers I've grown to call my friends I couldn't have ever done it with out any of you. Here is to years of success and happy reefing trails to come.

All my best regards

Squirrel

Last edited:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing the progression of this dream build. I used to follow your tank on NR years ago.

OP
OP
squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand build progression from my bud James.

This is what I used to light the sump compartment, shelf and command center

Neat stuff, very thin, flexible, and easy to mount with the double stick tape on the back.

Disco stand! Click the image to go to the vid (any one know how to embed videos?)

Reef shipment, bonus blonde dog checking things out.

Staging

Last edited:
OP
OP
squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, your tank is looking great! How do you like that RODC 3500? I'm going with the 5500. I plugged it in and the thing is dead silent :p

Thank you so much!

I have no idea if I like it yet or not. Lol. It got decent reviews and it went with my color scheme of red and white I'm going with in the sump(I'm such a girl for going with it pretty much on color alone, lol) I'm glad to hear you think it's quiet, that's definitely a plus. I still haven't finished my plumbing (waiting on some parts to arrive) so I'll let you know on my thoughts once it gets wet!

OP
OP
squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Build progression for the command center. It's very tight to work in there with only a 4" depth.

Starting to hook things up.

AI Prime lighting schedule

Kessil white

Kessil blue

Wiring on the back of the stand, I'm a little OCD and wanted it as neat as possible.

Sump arrived a few days ago

My bud James putting in holes for plumbing and the skimmer. My crappy hole saw kit didn't have big enough diameters so I needed him!

Things staged to see how it's all going to come together.

This is the PC case cooling fan I'll be using for cooling. No need for a chiller here it never gets above 80, and that only happens once in a while.

I'm pretty much on hold till the fans arrive and the final plumbing fittings get here. I had an oversight when I ordered the first set, thinking I could use 2 45s to create a 90, I didn't think about how much space that took up, also in my total inexperience I figured I could get slip x hose barb fittings for the return lines in the overflow at Home Depot. That didn't work out at all and those are on order with the ATO, Neptune DOS system, and white furniture grade PVC fittings.

Today's project is going to be to redo the white cord raceways I installed in the sump compartment to keep things clean while drinking, lesson learned there, don't drink and build.

Last edited:

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting how you have your skimmer going through your shelf like that. A very good way to maximize shelf height.

OP
OP
squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting how you have your skimmer going through your shelf like that. A very good way to maximize shelf height.

We will see if it works ok. I'm slightly concerned about servicing it, so far for me to remove the skimmer I have to tip the whole sump forward a couple of inches.

OP
OP
squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I didn't notice that. Can your adjustment tube easily come off?

I still have to tip it forward even with the cup, standpipe, and pump all removed, the widest part of the body is about 1/4" too thick to take it out horizontally.

I ordered the thing on an impulse, and now my whole color scheme plan is built around it and the eventual addition of the vertex 1.5l Zeo reactor, so I have to figure out how to make it work. The Zeo reactor is going to have the same problem, and a hole will have to be drilled in the shelf for that too.

I may end up having to service it in place, and cleaning it more frequently as a result.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back