Started carbon dosing

Reef-_-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I began carbon dosing about 1 week ago in my 100 gallon mixed reef. I started with a 3ml dose daily and did not dose yesterday because water is really clear and looks like nitrates and phosphates have gotten low.

I haven't measured in forever but api tests were reading under 10 nitrates and phosphates were .25 consistently for months. I was having gha problems so started dosing n0p0x.

I'm writing bc everything looks good in tank except zoas. They have color but they are not as full. I am only dosing 3mL. Not sure how to move forward with dosing the nopox, can I move to every other day? Do I cut off the skimmer? My corals seem to have reacted positively to the nopox but not sure if it's too much of a shock at once . Any advice appreciated.

20231023_202655.jpg 20231023_202644.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API phosphate test is useless. Using it tells your nearly nothing unless you have extremely high phosphates.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also get a more precise nitrate test if you are carbon dosing.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also saw you mentioned that you have not tested in a while. Testing should be routine as to avoid potential problems from values being off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reef-_-Noob

Reef-_-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also saw you mentioned that you have not tested in a while. Testing should be routine as to avoid potential problems from values being off.
I tested this evening and got the same results as the last time tested other than magnesium. Mag was higher than 1500 which my salifert is at the maximum of 1500.

Nitrates reading yellow on api which is low and phosphate .25 which was the same results last time I was testing

OP
OP
Reef-_-Noob

Reef-_-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae is not bad at the moment. I finished a fluconazole treatment I'm try to keep it from coming back.

I am wondering if I keep dosing the nopox or should I be worried about the zoas not being as big? I have like 200 zoas from 1 colony, should the carbon dose be reduced to like every other day? Is that effective I am at 3 ml daily is 1 or 2 ml even effective? 100 gallon system

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hate to break it to you but carbon dosing won’t turn the water clear. If anything you can cause the water to get cloudy if you have a bacterial bloom. Also what I have noticed since dosing carbon (I have it on an auto doser) is that while I don’t get as much film algae on my glass, I do get a whitish film which I assume is bacteria growing on the glass so still have to clean the glass. I would suggest running carbon to help clear the water and maybe a fine mesh filter sock. I installed a filter roller to avoid my sock from overflowing. Also look into UV sterilizer or ozone to help with crystal clear water.

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As for the Zoga’s being closed up, it could the lack of nutrients in the water. I would also try to dose some iodine/iodide to help with the Zoas or any soft coral.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back