Starting a new tank, it got plastic dust (and a drop of pvc cement) in it....should I refill with fr

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am starting a new aquarium. It's probably around 80gal total water volume (so not massive). I filled it up with fresh RO probably a bit sooner than I should have, it was filled before I had the plumbing finished. I actually got one drop of the wet PVC cement into a section in the sump (which it seemed to float). I was able to remove most of it just by diping my finger in to it floating on the surface, and it clung to my finger. I then attempted to siphon as much water out of that sump section as I could.

The plumbing is now finished and all the pumps are running. I am finding I have quite a bit of plastic bits in the tank (surprised how much). I tried to clean off the pipes after cuting before gluing them, but apparently there were quite a few fragments left.

I have removed a bunch from the filter sock already, and I could siphon some of the pieces that are sitting on the bottom of the tank. But what is most worrying is there seems like an oily film on the surface of the water (which I am assuming is a fine plastic dust?).

I have not added salt yet, so if I am going to drain it and re-fill, now would be the time. What do you guys think, am I being paranoid, or is it worth it just to be absolutely sure? What would you do?

Thanks for this question, I have a feeling I might be paranoid....but it would suck to find I have contaminated my water.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the PVC glue and bits of PVC are not going to impact tank inhabitants. I'm guessing you cut the pipe with a saw....and a lot of those bits end up inside the pipe. You'll just have to judge if the PVC bits will be seen once the tank is set up.

OP
OP
jent

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses! I don't think it visually will be an issue. I was planning tomorrow to turn off the pumps and siphon about 5gal out to collect any remaining plastic the filter sock did not already filter out.

I guess I was mostly surprised by the oily looking film on the surface (which I think is just a fine plastic? as I have no idea what else would have gotten into the tank...unless it's oil or something from new pumps, etc...i guess that might make more sense.).

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back