starting my plans to transfer to a 60G cube. some guidance needed!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
as the title states, i will be hopefully moving my 40B into a 60G cube due to being in a small apartment and still wanting a bigger water footprint (bigger tank without sacrificing too much space). the real reason is to provide my dog with some more room for indoor activity during the colder months, and for whenever we have company (we're looking to get a bigger couch too!)

with this transfer i am going to plan for it to occur during late summer, as i wont be buying new equipment other than the tank, stand, and sump (20G tall). i believe all of my current equipment is more than capable of working as intended in a 60G cube. anyways, with the rimless 60G cube from aqueon, i believe recent releases are now able to be drilled which is great. aside form this, how can i properly eurobrace the top and bottom seems? how big, or thick do the braces have to be, and would i still need to apply another bead of silicone around the inside edges even if i would be euro bracing? i prefer rimmed tanks for the added reassurance of the plastic trimming so i'd feel more comfortable making everything more "secure".

i plan on using 80/20 for the stand, and will need guidance on what parts to buy for proper sump space and security. if you've used 80/20, where did you source the parts, and what did you buy? i'm hoping to make the stand a little taller than 36" which seems to be the norm in stand height for most setups, and would like to access the sump from the left and front, as the tank will be at a corner (right side glass will be up against a wall) for those of you who have made doors with the 80/20 parts, how did you go about that? i'm hoping to close the stand rather than keeping it open. i do recall finding a thread, or kind of "how-to" for building 80/20 stands but i cannot find it! please link it if you have it saved/bookmarked. am i able to get 80/20 in white? i know you can get it in black or silver (aluminum). can i paint over with krylon paint to my desired color?

my main goal with the stand is to have adequate sump space, but the tricky part is making it fit the corner where i plan on having it. i don't have the measurements on hand, so i can come back and provide that to help.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80/20 can be purchased directly on the 8020 website (https://8020.net/framing-options/t-slotted-profiles.html), or from amazon (https://amzn.to/423ZV39). It doesn't seem that they have white, but no reason you can't just buy the bare aluminum and paint it after assembly. I was also curious in the past about DIY eurobracing, I did find these youtube videos:

Good luck with the new build!!!

OP
OP
shakacuz

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
80/20 can be purchased directly on the 8020 website (https://8020.net/framing-options/t-slotted-profiles.html), or from amazon (https://amzn.to/423ZV39). It doesn't seem that they have white, but no reason you can't just buy the bare aluminum and paint it after assembly. I was also curious in the past about DIY eurobracing, I did find these youtube videos:

Good luck with the new build!!!

thanks for the links! hopefully there are other websites to compare prices.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the links! hopefully there are other websites to compare prices.
i doubt you'll beat the 8020 website for pricing since it's direct from manufacturer - honestly if pricing is a concern, just use 2x4, that's plenty of support! If you're sure you wanna go with 8020 you can also find a local distributor that might be able to help with build advice/construction:

1705508689680.png

OP
OP
shakacuz

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i doubt you'll beat the 8020 website for pricing since it's direct from manufacturer - honestly if pricing is a concern, just use 2x4, that's plenty of support! If you're sure you wanna go with 8020 you can also find a local distributor that might be able to help with build advice/construction:

1705508689680.png
you're probably right with sticking to the main website. i guess my mission now is to figure out what parts to get, or the overall design of the stand..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back