Starting OVER lighting!!!!

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it seem to be something that i cant put my finger on. Due to since July i have not had any cyano AND now im having a break out. But still does not key into the growth of the corals I wuld think.

Sure it does. High phosphates can have a significant effect on coral growth. Where there's cyano, there's an issues with water quality. Poor water quality means poor coral growth.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 360WE only covers about 24". You'd definitely need two of them.

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, Im going to give my lights now another 4 months. Since i had a cyano out break and now everything is doing good. After 4 month go by and there's not new heads and better coral growth the 2 kessil will be on order. haha. I figure if you got good water over 4 months the coral should grow.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my .02 on the lights. I think most of these LED units are pretty close to being the same - Chinese based units with a few mods. This is from the acro growout challenge, but here is 6 weeks of growth from my value reefbreeders. Sorry if you have seen this before, but I think most issues are chemistry/feeding and not lighting. I don't do anything special lightwise, I did check them for PAR so I wasn't blasting them or not giving enough light, but I just run the fixtures at 100.

acro 6wks.jpg

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man thats great growth, If i got that growth on some of my corals i'd be very happy. So with me bring the phosphates down and my cal,mag,alk are good ,and nitrats ect. are good. What would be your next step. In solving why these corals are not growing for me.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the exact numbers for tank parameters? If my nitrates get too low I dose calcium nitrate, I find the coral have better colors with detectable levels, like 1ppm or less but still some color in the test. Gotta keep that phosphate down. Can you borrow a PAR meter? It's hard to know what is going on without PAR levels. Poor growth could be from either not enough or too much PAR. If you have a handle on nutrients then feed, feed, feed. Spot feed those corals - that is what really makes them grow like mad. BUT you have to keep water quality up.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I miss what types of LPS you have? I wonder if you just are not giving them enough light. I think that is a nice light, and LED wise I think it uses about the same type as the value reefbreeders I have. I would try increasing the light slowly but watching for signs the corals are not happy. Might have to move a few of the less light loving around, but just for a comparison...

That light has 60 LED and you have it 12" above the water and run 30/70 (max) for 3 hours.

I run 2 value LED units over a 65g. 9" above water. I run them both channels 100% for 12hr a day. That is 110 LEDs lower mounted for 12hrs a day plus blue only for another couple hours. Now I have more SPS at the top, but you can see I am pumping a crazy amount more of light into the tank.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do much until the nutrient issue is resolved. After that I would up the levels all day, but watch the coral closely. LPS are pretty easy to tell if they are in too much light as they shrink down. The frogspawn I have doesn't love the 500 PAR, but still grows. If I dim the lights he expands more, but the other guys need the high light.

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 cups of GFO BRS running on my 60 total water vol. Going to let that run for about 2 weeks and then do a retest. I'm about to upload a video on my tank here soon.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back