Starting RowaPhos amount for 20g cube AIO tank

Stoichiometry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, currently trying to establish a better nitrate to phosphate ratio and haven't been successful with just feeding a bunch of high protein frozen food. Looking to try some rowaphos in a media bag in my return pump chamber. How much weight should I start out with? 10-20 grams? Can I put the media bag in my filter cup in my first chamber in front or below floss?

I recently got rid of a bad green hair algea outbreak and the tank was clear for a couple weeks and coral are thriving and growing like crazy. Suddenly i'm starting to see diatoms on the sandbed and the start of some strands of GHA on the rocks. I did some param testing today and i'm at:

Nitrate: 0.2ppm
Phosphate: 0.1ppm

I'm running a pretty heavy HOB skimmer so i'm guessing that sucking out a bunch of nitrates. When I first noticed this ratio was off, phosphate was 0.06 and nitrate was about the same 0.2ppm. I started feeding a lot more with high protein frozen food but my phosphates have risen as a result.

How much rowaphos would you recommend to start with if running it from a media bag in a 20 gallon tank? I also have some neonitro + macrobacter that I haven't given a try yet.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.1 phosphate level, IMO, is perfect (for my tank anyway)

But if you do use the GFO, on such a small tank, I would suggest to start with 25% of the recommended dosage, then adjust accordingly. That stuff is very strong, and you really don't have much room to go down too much.

Consider the liquid phosphate remover, I find it easy to drop just one single drop into my smaller tanks. It drops the phosphate by about.5, just the one drop.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider the liquid phosphate remover, I find it easy to drop just one single drop into my smaller tanks. It drops the phosphate by about.5, just the one drop.
Silly me, I meant .05
One drop in my 15, 20, or 40 gallon drops phosphate by about .04~.05
Sorry for that lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back