steveschuergers 90 gallon Goni heavy mixed reef.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That arrival day pic that shows it already has receding flesh ….that would worry me. It looks like its flesh has receded more?

I would cut off any skeleton that has no polyps. Obviously be careful and get as close to the live part as possible. I’d also do an iodine dip after.

This has helped me save multiple LPS corals. Especially if algae is starting to take over the skelton.

@Reefing_addiction @Goaway @steveschuerger -just wanted to thank you three. My tank is mostly Gonis, and I just learned so much in this short exchange of posts. Had no clue there was a berni? Coral that people sell as a Goni? I accidentally bought a bunch of micro Gonis during live sales and all died. I also have some that look more encrusting like berni(sic), and some like your grandmaster that never seem to extend far.

I had planned on moving some for better flow today, but if it’s ok, I will take some pics of the ones in question, post on my build thread and tag you all. Don’t want to spam Steve’ thread.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Reefing_addiction @Goaway @steveschuerger -just wanted to thank you three. My tank is mostly Gonis, and I just learned so much in this short exchange of posts. Had no clue there was a berni? Coral that people sell as a Goni? I accidentally bought a bunch of micro Gonis during live sales and all died. I also have some that look more encrusting like berni(sic), and some like your grandmaster that never seem to extend far.

I had planned on moving some for better flow today, but if it’s ok, I will take some pics of the ones in question, post on my build thread and tag you all. Don’t want to spam Steve’ thread.
Bernadopora, often sold as Micro or Short-stalked Gonis. Sometimes sold as a Goni, sometimes as a Bernadopora, sometimes as an Alveopora, sometimes just as a Flowerpot... The most aggressive of the Goni-type corals as far as I'm aware.

Also, just a bit of trivia for you: Alveopora is more closely related to an Acropora than a Goni.

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Spam away. I’ve done it more than once on @tbrown threads, mainly. I like having an active thread, so go for it.

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got two that I know are Bernies at the moment. They have a rock in back away from the other Gonis . Also I’ve found that Gonis can be long or shorter stalked as well. Some say keep them separated but I haven’t really had any problems. Also my Alveopora have been ok with being near Gonis , but still…

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recommendation is get as close to the colors that are actually in the tank. I edit so that the black point makes them look less washed out, but otherwise editing is pretty minimal. Gotta remember all vendors , even Shane use fairly heavy blues and edit them to look brighter. Albeit SBB corals don’t get overblown like say Jason Fox corals when shown on site.
Yeah, it would be minimal editing and I should have clarified that the “vendor” blue pics aren’t what I see in my tank, but it’s much closer then the photos I take.

I want to buy one of the Olympus TG series camera - but it needs to be on a really good sale. This is the older model, it goes to TG7 I think. But I am fine to get a T6.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bernadopora, often sold as Micro or Short-stalked Gonis. Sometimes sold as a Goni, sometimes as a Bernadopora, sometimes as an Alveopora, sometimes just as a Flowerpot... The most aggressive of the Goni-type corals as far as I'm aware.

Also, just a bit of trivia for you: Alveopora is more closely related to an Acropora than a Goni.
Didn’t know that trivia part. I have some Alveopora’s but I bought them knowing that - I really like them.

I clearly have some nasty Bern’s in the tank; might explain some mystery’s going on - lol.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got two that I know are Bernies at the moment. They have a rock in back away from the other Gonis . Also I’ve found that Gonis can be long or shorter stalked as well. Some say keep them separated but I haven’t really had any problems. Also my Alveopora have been ok with being near Gonis , but still…
Hmm, wait a minute; are you saying it’s probably prudent to separate my alveopora from my goniopora as well? It’s not a problem, I’ve got plenty of real estate.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hmm, wait a minute; are you saying it’s probably prudent to separate my alveopora from my goniopora as well? It’s not a problem, I’ve got plenty of real estate.
Yes. Sometimes they're fine, but other times they'll kill each other.

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most will tell you to give them some space. I like live dangerously , so I tried it out and there wasn’t any warfare in that direction. On the other hand one of my hammers reached out apparently and decimated my smallest Alveopora .

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Sometimes they're fine, but other times they'll kill each other.
Hey Tim, off subject but now that the flux has been working in the tank for a week the Fox and Tang are finally eating the bubbles. Foxy will eat them like Lucious grapes when I scrape them from the rocks without plucking as well.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey Tim, off subject but now that the flux has been working in the tank for a week the Fox and Tang are finally eating the bubbles. Foxy will eat them like Lucious grapes when I scrape them from the rocks without plucking as well.
Great news! My Foxface got fat and stopped eating Bubble Algae. It's coming back but nowhere near as bad as the Aiptasia are.

OP
OP
steveschuerger

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news! My Foxface got fat and stopped eating Bubble Algae. It's coming back but nowhere near as bad as the Aiptasia are.
Tell me about it. My aips are starting to go everywhere . I’m not sure how I want to handle it. My main three options have their own separate risks.
Berghia(eaten by wrasses potentially or maybe even the mantis), Peppermints (same risks as well as a few others), or Small Copperband with inherent risks.
By the way my Foxy is nice and plump as well. Eats like a pig on everything.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most will tell you to give them some space. I like live dangerously , so I tried it out and there wasn’t any warfare in that direction. On the other hand one of my hammers reached out apparently and decimated my smallest Alveopora .
Thank you!

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it would be minimal editing and I should have clarified that the “vendor” blue pics aren’t what I see in my tank, but it’s much closer then the photos I take.

I want to buy one of the Olympus TG series camera - but it needs to be on a really good sale. This is the older model, it goes to TG7 I think. But I am fine to get a T6.

Let’s not talk cameras
Or my credit card companies will love me more
I started looking and realized that was a very very bad idea lol

I should be happy with the ones I have and don’t use ….need to buy new batteries

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I killed one of those encrusting ones….not sad about it really

I’ve kept long stemmed gonis next to alves no issues

But like some I like to live dangerously

Currently I don’t think any of my gonis can reach and touch each other

Although I have one close to my alves and I’ll keep my eye on it just in case

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one has shown more extension lately
IMG_6322.jpeg

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recommendation is get as close to the colors that are actually in the tank. I edit so that the black point makes them look less washed out, but otherwise editing is pretty minimal. Gotta remember all vendors , even Shane use fairly heavy blues and edit them to look brighter. Albeit SBB corals don’t get overblown like say Jason Fox corals when shown on site.
What you don’t like over edited photos!!!!!
IMG_6256.jpeg
IMG_6256.jpeg

So one of these I adjust the black point the other I did not. But no other edits were made
IMG_6258.jpeg
IMG_6257.jpeg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back