Stocking Biocube 32 question

wdotero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All
I have a question about my stocking plans for a four month old BioCube 32g.

Current livestock:
Ocellaris Clownfish (1)
Diamond Goby (1)
Peppermint shrimp (3)
Scarlet hermit crabs (3), dwarf hermit crabs (3), Pithos crabs (3)
Cerith, nassarius, trochus snails, limpets
Pulsing Xenia, branching GSP, Ricordea mushroom, torch coral
Also, live rock with barnacles and and feather dusters

I'm considering adding the following, one fish a time, in this order:
Tailspot blenny
Royal gramma (or orchid dottyback?)
Springeri damselfish (or Azure?)

I had two Clownfish until they fought. One died about a week ago. I've considered adding a much smaller one vs keeping a single.

After that I would focus on adding more soft and LPS corals.

What do you think? Any red flags?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

Current livestock:
Ocellaris Clownfish (1)
Diamond Goby (1)
Peppermint shrimp (3)

Tailspot blenny

I had two Clownfish until they fought. One died about a week ago. I've considered adding a much smaller one vs keeping a single.

I like your list, just a few critiques/comments
  • I think it should be fine to add another clown, visibly smaller than your current one, of the same type of course. I'd do this sooner than later so your current clown doesn't get too accustomed to being solo.
  • Any reason why you just want 3 peppermint shrimp? If I were you I'd swap out one for a cleaner shrimp for some variety
  • Be careful where you place the xenia and GSP, unless you WANT them to take over I'd recommend isolating them on rock islands separated from the main structure by sand

OP
OP
wdotero

wdotero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your list, just a few critiques/comments
  • I think it should be fine to add another clown, visibly smaller than your current one, of the same type of course. I'd do this sooner than later so your current clown doesn't get too accustomed to being solo.
  • Any reason why you just want 3 peppermint shrimp? If I were you I'd swap out one for a cleaner shrimp for some variety
  • Be careful where you place the xenia and GSP, unless you WANT them to take over I'd recommend isolating them on rock islands separated from the main structure by sand
Thanks!
- Yes, I think I will added a much smaller Clownfish first.
- I've thought about removing the peppermint shrimp. When I brought the torch coral home, it had just been fed some mysis. The peppermint shrimp went right up to it and started picking at it to steal the food. I don't spot feed the torch now. Would a cleaner shrimp do the same thing?
- The Xenia is on an isolated island. The branching GSP is on the highest rock. I read it grows toward the light and that putting it at the top would control its spread.

I really appreciate your feedback.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
- Yes, I think I will added a much smaller Clownfish first.
- I've thought about removing the peppermint shrimp. When I brought the torch coral home, it had just been fed some mysis. The peppermint shrimp went right up to it and started picking at it to steal the food. I don't spot feed the torch now. Would a cleaner shrimp do the same thing?
- The Xenia is on an isolated island. The branching GSP is on the highest rock. I read it grows toward the light and that putting it at the top would control its spread.

I really appreciate your feedback.
Any shrimp will do that. When I feed my candy canes, I make sure to give the shrimp something to eat first then be ready with something to use to shoo the shrimp away until the coral has consumed the food.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can also get a little basket like the use to hold mushroom corals and put it upside down over the coral to keep away the scavengers while it eats

OP
OP
wdotero

wdotero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can also get a little basket like the use to hold mushroom corals and put it upside down over the coral to keep away the scavengers while it eats
I recently saw plans to 3D print a feeding cage. Time to get the printer up and running!

I’m attaching a brief video of the tank. It’s a bit cloudy due to stirring things up for a water change.

Attachments

• IMG_3951.mov
    26.1 MB

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Biocube 32g has been set up for over two years and I have a very similar stocking list. 2 clowns, royal gramma, diamond watchman goby, sixline wrass and a yellow tailed damsel with no drama. I think your list is fine.

OP
OP
wdotero

wdotero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Biocube 32g has been set up for over two years and I have a very similar stocking list. 2 clowns, royal gramma, diamond watchman goby, sixline wrass and a yellow tailed damsel with no drama. I think your list is fine.
Thanks!!! That is very encouraging.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current tank, one of the rare pictures where I managed to get all six fish in.
CCB796CC-58AA-46B6-88CA-D2A68754FF2E.jpeg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic! I just looked at your build thread. Very nice! I just got my first Torch coral last week.
Thank you! I’m afraid to say it but like crack, after the first you are now addicted to torches! I’m always here to bounce thoughts off. Happy reefing.

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32g with two clowns, a goby pistol shrimp pair, a royal gramma, and a bangaii cardinalfish. I had a diamond goby but he only lived for 6 months (I don't think my tank was developed enough). I really liked having the diamond goby and I'm wondering if it would be good to get another one. What about the 6-line wrasse? How do you like that?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32g with two clowns, a goby pistol shrimp pair, a royal gramma, and a bangaii cardinalfish. I had a diamond goby but he only lived for 6 months (I don't think my tank was developed enough). I really liked having the diamond goby and I'm wondering if it would be good to get another one. What about the 6-line wrasse? How do you like that?
Diamond watchman goby’s have so much personality. If you liked yours go for it. I have had great experiences with my sixlines. Very active fish and although their colors don’t pop from across the room it is the most colorful fish in my aquarium.

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

Current livestock:
Ocellaris Clownfish (1)
Diamond Goby (1)
Peppermint shrimp (3)

Tailspot blenny

Mine had 2 Clowns, a Banggai Cardinal, Orchid Dottyback, and an Apasia Eating Filefish in it and they were all happy and content with each other.

Only warning I will give is the Dottyback ate both of my peppermint shrimp in less than 24 hours of putting them in.

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

Current livestock:
Ocellaris Clownfish (1)
Diamond Goby (1)
Peppermint shrimp (3)

Tailspot blenny

Hi a bit late to reply but in my experience put the Springeri or Azure damsel last or get a vet very small one and get a larger or more active royal gramma. In my case my Azure damsel became a bit territorial towards any new fish. Bit and killed a royal gramma that was about the same size. Azure damsel was put in earlier. Other fish that can hold its own well against the Azure damsel are Bangai Cardinal, Midas Blenny or Mandarin dragonet. Diamond goby will work, need to feed frozen brine shrimp or slowly train it to eat pellets. Same for Mandarin. My tank is a 32 Biocube too

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the preprogrammed 12 hour schedule with the exception of I only have full whites on 5 hours a day.
Thanks, I have the same except my whites are on from 10.30am to 2.30pm. By the way what brand of salt do you use and what is the alk of your tank? also I recently brought my alk down from 9 to 7.7 dKH. because my candy apple zoas did not tolerate the higher alkalinity. However the Acans in the tank seem to prefer alk 9 Or higher. Wonder if you experienced anything like this?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a great Lfs and all they carry is Fritz RPM and I like to support them as much as possible. My alk runs at 9.8. My zoa garden doesn’t seem to be affected by alk. But to be honest this is the first time I’ve thought about it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back