Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

We have a list of fish that we were getting in this order for our tank:
Clownfish (2)
Royal Gramma
Purple FireFish
High Fin Goby/Pistol Shrimp Pair
Cardinals - This hasn't worked, we've killed 5 so far before realizing that maybe we don't have the different foods or right tank for them
One spot Foxface - probably getting one this weekend
Flame Angel - maybe a month from now (and the dream fish)

So down to the cardinals. First batch we got was 3 pajamas, one died first night, next one the next night, 3rd lasted a week. We figured it may have been the source, so we tried Bangghai cardinals (2) from another store a couple weeks later. The 2nd one I think is having a rough go, one already died. These two were in for a couple weeks. During that time I've upgraded my lighting to Orphek Or3's and an OSIX controller from basically nothing. We are prepping for getting some Green Frogspawn and maybe a BTA down the road. I know we need to watch on the flame angel. We also have lots of inverts, conch, emerald crab, cleaner shrimp, trochus and turbo snails, red and blue hermits. I'd guess a total of about 20 inverts. Tank is a 75 Gallon with sump. As for parameters, the only one that's out of the ordinary is phosphates. Its been hovering about .3 for awhile now, sometimes down to .25 and as high as .33 on a hanna checker. I've upped the fuge light time in the last few weeks.

Any ideas of any other hardier fish we could try with this setup? I looked and I'm not sure about wrasses, or other gobies, and probably not chromis. We are looking for hardy/colorful/peaceful. And I'd like to get something before we get the flame angel as that should probably be the last thing we put into the tank. Thanks in advance!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange Anthais trio?
IMG_2004.jpeg

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Banggai are extremely hardy just have unique care requirements.

If it is not a male female pair they will kill each other. Issue is Banggai are not hermaphroditic so can't change sex like clowns. You have to have 1 or know for a fact your getting a male female pair.

Lastly I have never had a Banggai eat dry food. In my experience they will ONLY eat frozen or live foods.

Hope that helps your last survivor.

OP
OP
J

Jyeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Banggai are extremely hardy just have unique care requirements.

If it is not a male female pair they will kill each other. Issue is Banggai are not hermaphroditic so can't change sex like clowns. You have to have 1 or know for a fact your getting a male female pair.

Lastly I have never had a Banggai eat dry food. In my experience they will ONLY eat frozen or live foods.

Hope that helps your last survivor.
We feed frozen from the LFS, and also frozen mysys on top of crab pellets and regular pellets (smaller amounts of both pellets, and not a ton of the others. The first batch may have been issue ridden as that store got another batch of pajamas and all those died too in the store.

Hope the other bangghai comes through but he wasn’t looking great earlier today.

OP
OP
J

Jyeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on this, we have since added in a scooter blenny and a princess anthias (male). Both are doing great in the tank with the other inhabitants and its been a couple weeks already!

We added a regular foxface about a month ago, he's been doing great too!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back