Storm Clown fish eating eggs

sajjad89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
I took a pair of breeding storm clowns from My lfs about 1.5 years ago. They were laying regularly at the lfs. Moved them to their own 75l tank and they stopped laying. I have seen them lay eggs a couple Of weeks ago but the female ate them by midday the next day. This is the second time they have done this. Anyone have any idea why they are doing this and what I can do to help?
They get fed pellets 2 times a day and frozen in the evening. Very fat and healthy by the looks of them

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, they'll definitely eat their own eggs. There's not much you can do in the tank. You need to remove them from the tank. I have heard people have had success by adding a small terracotta pot to the tank and getting the clowns to host it. Then once there is eggs they simply remove it. Also, clowns only lay eggs when they are mature and happy, so when you moved them to your tank it makes perfect sense why they stopped laying eggs. Are you trying to breed the clowns? It is a  very difficult process, and most people who do it are unsuccessful. For peope who are successful, it definitely wasnt their first time trying.

OP
OP
S

sajjad89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, they'll definitely eat their own eggs. There's not much you can do in the tank. You need to remove them from the tank. I have heard people have had success by adding a small terracotta pot to the tank and getting the clowns to host it. Then once there is eggs they simply remove it. Also, clowns only lay eggs when they are mature and happy, so when you moved them to your tank it makes perfect sense why they stopped laying eggs. Are you trying to breed the clowns? It is a  very difficult process, and most people who do it are unsuccessful. For peope who are successful, it definitely wasnt their first time trying.
YH I am trying to breed them. They have a terracotta pot which they host. I have bred and raised clarki clowns so familiar with the process. Just trying to figure out what's making them eat the eggs straight away.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YH I am trying to breed them. They have a terracotta pot which they host. I have bred and raised clarki clowns so familiar with the process. Just trying to figure out what's making them eat the eggs straight away.
I completely forgot to add this in my first post, but they'll eat unhealthy/unfertile eggs. Do you know if the LFS had any luck with hatching them? Maybe none of the eggs are getting fertilized and or all of them are unhealthy. They will also eat them under stress. Do you have any aggressive tank mates that specifically the clown fish might find as a threat more so then other fish?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back