Strong magnets for inch glass

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have many many frag racks.. none of which are made for 1" glass.. I have to take these and always modify.. and looks terrible and still falls..... can I get some recommendations for
1. frag racks that will hold on 1" glass
2. DYI racks and where to get the appropriate magnets..

thank you..

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you can mod these ; Helio heater magnetic mounts.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you... other question... and maybe a question for seller of magents.. but when we do a mod to lets say a frag rack that is for 1/2 inch.. I purchase stronger magnets... will these work well with the weaker one on the frag rack that is seal.. or to do the mod I need to put the new stronger magnets as a pair. and remove the old one from the frag rack ect.

Would be nice is a seller had large ones for larger tanks.. I am kind of shocked there are none..

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
thank you... other question... and maybe a question for seller of magents.. but when we do a mod to lets say a frag rack that is for 1/2 inch.. I purchase stronger magnets... will these work well with the weaker one on the frag rack that is seal.. or to do the mod I need to put the new stronger magnets as a pair. and remove the old one from the frag rack ect.

Would be nice is a seller had large ones for larger tanks.. I am kind of shocked there are none..
I guess it would depend on the strength of the new magnets you bought. While the stock inner magnets still have holding power, the outer magnets would have to be strong enough to make up the difference in glass thickness.
What size, I couldn't tell you.
I do know that back a few years ago ( before there were vendors making frag racks with magnets) I made some for myself and friends.
I used a pair of 1" diameter x 3/8" thick neodymium magnets that would hold through 1/2" glass very well and even light duty in 3/4" glass.
I did make a store a long frag rack ( 3' long) that had 1" glass. I can't remember exactly which ones I used, but I want to think it was 1" x 1/2" magnets on both sides and had 3 points of attachment.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it would depend on the strength of the new magnets you bought. While the stock inner magnets still have holding power, the outer magnets would have to be strong enough to make up the difference in glass thickness.
What size, I couldn't tell you.
I do know that back a few years ago ( before there were vendors making frag racks with magnets) I made some for myself and friends.
I used a pair of 1" diameter x 3/8" thick neodymium magnets that would hold through 1/2" glass very well and even light duty in 3/4" glass.
I did make a store a long frag rack ( 3' long) that had 1" glass. I can't remember exactly which ones I used, but I want to think it was 1" x 1/2" magnets on both sides and had 3 points of attachment.
So which ones do you get? The epoxy coated? Or do you do something yourself to coat them?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have many many frag racks.. none of which are made for 1" glass.. I have to take these and always modify.. and looks terrible and still falls..... can I get some recommendations for
1. frag racks that will hold on 1" glass
2. DYI racks and where to get the appropriate magnets..

thank you..
See mighty magnets. Not cheap but highly effective with thicker glass

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So which ones do you get? The epoxy coated? Or do you do something yourself to coat them?
I explained which ones.
When I made the frag racks, I encased the the inner ones in polyester casting resin and used the resin to hold the eggcrate. On glass that was 1/2" thick or thinner I used epoxy coated ones for the outside.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I explained which ones.
When I made the frag racks, I encased the the inner ones in polyester casting resin and used the resin to hold the eggcrate. On glass that was 1/2" thick or thinner I used epoxy coated ones for the outside.
Thats what I was looking for the casting resin part anyway. Thanks!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thats what I was looking for the casting resin part anyway. Thanks!
The thing with polyester casting resin, is I had good luck using it while another reefer local to me didn't. I think the main reason is I used a black dye when I mixed it up while the other guy went clear.
I still have parts of those racks around today, after 20 years or so. I've found the black eggcrate I used got brittle and failed.

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. website say plastic or rubber. i do not see where they say water proof. they say water resistant

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back