successfully raised sexy shrimp fry, pic included

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great chart. Did you notice a lot of cannibalism? I feed my larvae four times a day to reduce it. How many babies did you have after six weeks?

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great chart. Did you notice a lot of cannibalism? I feed my larvae four times a day to reduce it. How many babies did you have after six weeks?
I never saw any of them eating each other but im sure they probably did if any died after they had settled. I was able to see them eating their own molts though. im not sure how many I had after 6 weeks I didn't count them till I transferred them into the grow out tank when they were 59days old which was about 81 plus 5 that wouldn't settle. so if they release around 200 babies a considerable amount had died off by then. when they were transferred some did die over the next couple days for whatever reasons, shock or didn't want to eat the decap maybe. couple weeks ago I counted 60 that I could see so im assuming theres more then that though on the back side of rocks and under them that I couldn't see so im guessing I have around 70 left. is this your first time raising them?

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20130514_194853-1fry.jpg
this was my set up for the babies. just a cylinder vase and a airstone. for their food source bbs (baby brine shrimp) I used 2 cylinder vases with a heater and airstone in each. these vases were much more narrower then sexy shrimps vase. *2 hatching devices are very important incase one fails or isn't putting out enough food for whatever reason. you want to make sure you always have enough food for the baby sexy shrimp. I recommend using only hatchable decap bbs eggs. its just even more time consuming trying to separate the eggshells from the bbs if you get the reg shelled kind, no matter how hard you try when you collect your bbs you always end up getting eggshells mixed in and you don't want that in your baby sexy shrimp tank. make sure you thoroughly rinse the bbs before adding them to your baby sexy tank with either fresh or salt water, doesn't matter which.

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres a couple pics of their growth before they began to settle (able to stand and cling to sides without being blown about)
babies3.jpg
babies2.jpg

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st settler.jpg
1st settler4.jpg
here's a pic of my very 1st settler on the left he's kinda hard to see but he's standing on the bottom but his tail isn't all the way up yet. the 2nd pic was taken several days later of even more settlers on bottom by airstone

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st settler5.jpg
1st settler8.jpg
in this 1st pic you can see they are beginning to get their white marks. you can see the first sexy is farther along then the one right below him. 2nd pic is some on the airstone you can get an idea of just how small they were here.

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1settler7.jpg
1st settler9.jpg
this 1st pic you can see the varity of stages they are at some are still what I call sticks lol some are in the process of settling their tails are beginning to turn upwards and some have settled like the little guy at the very bottom. they also become clearer when they start to settle then the older they get the darker they become again and start to get spots. this 2nd pic is cool cause one of my adult girls had just hatched some babies so for a size comparison I threw some in the dish they are the super tiny thin things. you can really tell just how tiny they are when they are first hatched and how much they have grown in this pic.

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st settler10.jpg
1st settler12.jpg
1st pic size comparison with tooth pick. 2nd pic when I first transferred to the grow out I'm sure they are happy to be on some rock

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st settler13.jpg
this is the grow out tank 2gal. 2small rocks, airstone and a hang on filter that is for 1-3 gallons. I have wrapped some mesh around the intake of the hang on filter so the babies don't get sucked up, I'm not taking any chances I've worked to hard for these guys. I recommend bare bottom tank its easier to clean and see all the left over food and waste. took this pic yesterday.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the answers. Yes this is the first time that I'm purposely or seriously raising them. So, I'm studying everything I can. Getting 80 or 70 is really a great accomplishment. Anything else you want to put on here I'll soak it in.

Alex Ruckl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I try ,I did like for a Clownfish breeding in a 10 gal tank,but never past 2 weeks..Keep me post,maybe one day I try again..

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you collect the eggs? Where did they lay them?
this batch that i raised was actually a unexpected batch. I had just failed another batch and had just finished setting up this cylinder style set up when I noticed that one of my girls had let loose her babies and they were all in the main tank, a 10gal getting sucked up into the filter so I was like well I might as well try to collect as much of the babies as I can and just throw them on in this one and see if they make it lol. I always watch my girls really carefully so I know when they just lay eggs (they carry them under their tail not on rocks or anything) and it takes 13-14 days for them to hatch out so on the 13th day I just put the mom into the tank I intend on raising the babies and once she lets them loose I throw her back in the main tank.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 64 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back