Suggestions for nano reef inverts

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking for suggestions to add. Currently have multiple snails, urchin, red star and blood shrimp. My arrow crab has gotten way to big and is becoming a problem so decided to give him to someone in the local reef club.

Got a couple clowns and mandarin goby for fish.

Pic of my current set up.

Thanks for any input!

IMG_2710.jpeg

luis angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarius snail
Sand sifting star
Tiger conch
Blue hermit crab

ZachariahBeanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ this. Dwarf blue and red hermits and micro brittle starfish. Can’t comment on snails as I don’t know what you currently have.
This good, but depending on the size of the tank, and how experienced OP is, I wouldn’t recommend the starfish, but hermits are always nice. Just make sure you get them small, otherwise they could kill your snails

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This good, but depending on the size of the tank, and how experienced OP is, I wouldn’t recommend the starfish, but hermits are always nice. Just make sure you get them small, otherwise they could kill your snails
These are micro brittle starfish that with legs extended are no bigger than a quarter and live in small crevices and eat detritus and left over food. Here are the ones I purchased a couple years ago and get no bigger. His tank looks like a 32g BioCube.
EEE1E24E-067C-4B7E-B000-22B6007F937E.jpeg

OP
OP
spielco

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These are micro brittle starfish that with legs extended are no bigger than a quarter and live in small crevices and eat detritus and left over food. Here are the ones I purchased a couple years ago and get no bigger. His tank looks like a 32g BioCube.
EEE1E24E-067C-4B7E-B000-22B6007F937E.jpeg
That’s awesome. I didn’t realize how helpful they weee. I had a few into the tank a local reefer gave me when picking some coral up.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have quite a few nassarius and have that red link in star. How likely are the hermit crabs to stay reef safe??
Only thing I have seen mine do is crawl over corals. Scarlets may be better because they are from reefs. They are also just way more peaceful. But the red and blue legged are perfectly fine IME.

OP
OP
spielco

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
^ this. Dwarf blue and red hermits and micro brittle starfish. Can’t comment on snails as I don’t know what you currently have.
I’m missing the hermits. For some reason I can’t shake it that they will go rogue and kill my corals. ‍♂️

luis angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have quite a few nassarius and have that red link in star. How likely are the hermit crabs to stay reef safe??
Until now I have zero problem with the blue hermit crab but the red ones I couldn't tell you because I don't have any, but maybe someone else will tell us what their experience has been with them.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until now I have zero problem with the blue hermit crab but the red ones I couldn't tell you because I don't have any, but maybe someone else will tell us what their experience has been with them.
Red ones are the same, if not more peaceful. They just get a bit larger.

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have many snails. Be sure to have both algae eaters, and meat eaters. Nassarious snails will pop-up and devour uneaten food that falls to the bottom. So will conchs. Turbo/trocus/nerite/cerith for algae. Chitons are a different 'snail' that love to eat algae.

I have avoided urchins as they always seem to bulldoze stuff for me.

I like to have small brittle stars. Luckily, they always seem to hitchhike in on other corals, so I never had to purchase them.

I have had shrimp in the past, but eventually I wanted a fish that eats shrimp, so the shrimp had to go. I might try again in my nano that has a clown and two gobies.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m missing the hermits. For some reason I can’t shake it that they will go rogue and kill my corals. ‍♂️
I’ve had dwarf red and blue legged hermits in my tank for over two years. They stay small and have never bothered my corals or snails. I avoid the larger ones but I’m sure there are plenty that are fine also.

OP
OP
spielco

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Highly recommend a West African Biscuit/Goniaster Tessellatus! Hardy, easy to keep, and unique in my opinion.
IMG_7286.jpeg
Wow. Freaking cool. I’ll need to do research and see how they are with another star. Heres my current guy.
IMG_4592.jpeg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.9%
Back