Sulphur Denitrating media ...... Needing a source for it

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked for this media, the only accredited sources, BRS and Deltec are out and do not have available.

For those using a de-nitrating media reactor, where are you sourcing your media ?

Picture just for eye candy

Thanks in advance.

Tri Color.jpg

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elemental sulfur prills are available on Amazon, ebay, better garden centers, hydroponics stores, and farm supply stores. Best get the 99.9% version; there are some 90% sulfur products (remainder seems to be clay), which might gum up the works. Some products are granulated, so best avoid those too.

FWIW, I'm still using up my stock of LSM (I bought a bunch like ten years ago), and have not tried non-hobby sourced products but did research sources in anticipation of LSM becoming unavailable.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elemental sulfur prills are available on Amazon, ebay, better garden centers, hydroponics stores, and farm supply stores. Best get the 99.9% version; there are some 90% sulfur products (remainder seems to be clay), which might gum up the works. Some products are granulated, so best avoid those too.

FWIW, I'm still using up my stock of LSM (I bought a bunch like ten years ago), and have not tried non-hobby sourced products but did research sources in anticipation of LSM becoming unavailable.
Thank you, very worried about the "garden stuff"

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This will be my first time running one in 45 years of reefing, do you like the end result while using one ?

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do, yes. I have CR510 calcium reactor from Geo's Reef, modified to run as a denitrator, on a heavily stocked and liberally fed 90g. It keeps me from having to do excessive water changes to keep nitrates under control, saves labor and a good amount of money in salt.

I switched to the denitrator after running a macroalgae export refugium for a few years, that didn't really do much and used too much electricity (these were the days before decent LEDs).

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do, yes. I have CR510 calcium reactor from Geo's Reef, modified to run as a denitrator, on a heavily stocked and liberally fed 90g. It keeps me from having to do excessive water changes to keep nitrates under control, saves labor and a good amount of money in salt.

I switched to the denitrator after running a macroalgae export refugium for a few years, that didn't really do much and used too much electricity (these were the days before decent LEDs).
I'm going to use the Aquamaxx t-3 their biggest unit. My system is 850 gallons.
When you say "modified" what modification are you describing? Or is it just that you put the Sulphur media in it?

Do you put a little carx media on the top of the sulphur media to help with pH ?

Last edited:

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plugged the unused ports (for the pH probe, and the CO2 inlet), and I put a ball valve on the hose from the recirculate pump (too much fluidizing seems to wear the pellets down and makes a channel of smaller bits in the center of the reactor). I also made a plate out of eggcrate to put on top of the top sponge to help with flow through that sponge; there's a lot of biofilm that collects on the sponge, and if the sponge is flat up against the top of the reactor, the biofilm is more concentrated in the middle of the sponge (where the recirculating water flows out) and clogs faster. If the sponge has a space between it and the top water outlet, the biofilm seems to coat the sponge evenly.

I started out by putting some calcium media in there (for like a year or two), and then tried without and it seemed to be fine (=no pH drop that I noticed). FWIW, I measure pH (in the whole system, not in the reactor) but I don't target some certain pH and I don't really worry about what the pH is. I just use the pH reading to help gauge what the system is doing overall. Someone who's really obsessive about pH might do things differently.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the garden sulphur prills from Amazon in my aquarium engineering reactor and they seemed to work just fine. When I got rid of my big tank I stopped using it.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 31 15.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 114 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back