Sump set-up

jkv77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 75 gallon set-up and I am considering switching to a sump. I currently run a Fluval Fx filter, HOB protein skimmer, and a HOB UV sterilizer. I will have to use a Hang on overflow as my tank is not drilled nor is it feasible for me to do so. Any information would be helpful. My questions are these:
What is the best Hang on overflow?
What size sump would be best?
What sizes return pump do I need?

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all HOB, 3 FX6 canisters running lr rubble. 120G
IMG_1980small.jpg

OP
OP
J

jkv77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same question here. Fish only tanks don't need near the filtration of a reef.
all HOB, 3 FX6 canisters running lr rubble. 120G
IMG_1980small.jpg
May i ask why?
I read that it’s the better system. I just want what’s best for the animals. I don’t plan on doing corals. I have a few inverts, a shrimp, some snails and crabs. But that’s it. Should I add another canister?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even for a FOWLR tank, a Sump is a "better" system. Still, mainly for aesthetic purposes (getting all of the equipment hidden away), but the total increase in water volume is also beneficial. Though, it's not entirely necessary on a FOWLR tank. You can get by with running canisters and hob filtration if you stay on top of their maintenance. I don't trust any HOB overflow all that much, need lifter pumps to make them work right after power outages, and they have the potential to fail in ways that a traditional overflow just doesn't. If you have no plans on running a reef tank, and are just going to keep it FOWLR, you may be better off just sticking with what you have. I ran 2 canisters on a 55G before I got into reefing; one had a polishing filter, and the other had the rest of the filtration (Mechanical, Chemical, Biological).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it... that's my motto.

Now, if you have some actual issues you're trying to tackle, explain them in detail; maybe someone can help you tackle those.

GT3000XX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your questions:

What is the best Hang on overflow? Eshopps PF1000. I have used these for years without any issues. (no lift pump required to maintain syphon)

What size sump would be best? The biggest you can fit in your stand. Bashsea makes great sumps.

What sizes return pump do I need? Something that will turn your tank volume over around 4-6 x an hour. Be sure to take into account head pressure when lookin for pumps. A DC pump will allow you to adjust water flow. Also DC pumps are quiet and produce little heat. I like the Reef Breeder DC pumps.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'll chime in.
sumps are great for a few reasons.
1. a place for your gear to keep it out of the DT
2. adds water volume
3. could add a fuge or ATS
4. but fish ot a time out

all that said are they a must no. but depending on the canister filer you have maintenance can be a PITA.

the only HOB overflow I trust is lifereef been solid for many many years I belive the Eshops is a copy of that design.

so is a sump worth it IDK its up to you. there are lots of amazing AIO and canister filtered tanks around. I think sumps are just easier than canister filters.

I am a big fan of 40br for sumps. you can get some 1/4" plate glass and silicone it in or you can get a drop in kit the 40br are so nice for sumps. not sure it will fit in your stand tho.

get a DC return pump. that way you can match the overflow box. most will have a flow rate reg. keep head pressure in mind when geting a RT pump.

I am a big fan of the jebao RT pumps cheap quite and work great. until they dont but that is quite a few years. at half the price of name brand pumps you can have a back up.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back