Sump Water Level Randomly Changed

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
Riddle me this:
My sump has had the same water level in the return section since I set it up a year ago. Yesterday we had a power outage and for whatever reason, my return section is now half height.

I have tried adjusting my gate valve on my main overflow line but nothing is working. Ive even tried shutting off the pump and turning it back on a few times. Should I just add more water? I prefer my return chamber to be slightly high.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your return pump was partially clogged / dirty, it wouldn’t be full power, and the return section would be higher. Cleaning the pump would allow it to work more efficiently, pumping faster, making the water line lower in that section

Knowing nothing about your setup, my hypothesis is you had gunk in it, the power outage happened causing backflow down the return line, flushing out the pump, and now it’s cleared and running full strength.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your return pump was partially clogged / dirty, it wouldn’t be full power, and the return section would be higher. Cleaning the pump would allow it to work more efficiently, pumping faster, making the water line lower in that section

Knowing nothing about your setup, my hypothesis is you had gunk in it, the power outage happened causing backflow down the return line, flushing out the pump, and now it’s cleared and running full strength.
Well unfortunately my return is not adjustable. Gosh this tank is one thing after the other man. Should I try adding more water to the system?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you add fresh water to compensate for evaporation?

As water evaporates, it leaves the salt behind. So we add fresh water to compensate for evap, and to keep the salinity level the same all the time.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you add fresh water to compensate for evaporation?

As water evaporates, it leaves the salt behind. So we add fresh water to compensate for evap, and to keep the salinity level the same all the time.
Yeah I have it on an ATO, In fact, I am very thankful I have a Tunze that shut off instead of filling the return section with three gallons of water.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the level in the return dropped, the ATO should have refilled it back to the proper level. If it cut off based on time, that means it was asked to add more water than it should. Where did that water go? I’m hazarding a guess it’s in the display and you have a clogged drain.

Check everything. I had a snail once get lodged in the elbow in the overflow box.

javajaws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what kind of overflow do you have on your tank - have you checked the water level in it? My guess is that's where the missing water is. Check your salinity and make sure your ATO doesn't start pumping without knowing what's going on.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back