Sumps designed for Filter Rollers (Synergy SK-Series, Geo AFR, Trigger Titanium/Platinum, etc)

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any issues. Changing out the roll is a bit fiddly. I've not found a way to attach to the take-up spindle that I like, but I've only done it 3 times.

I forget it is there most of the time. On my system, it will go through about 1% of a roll each day and I hardly ever interact with it.
Fiddling to change out when it’s only done once every 3 months sounds like a pretty good alternative. It’s nice to hear someone who’s actually using it without issues

OP
OP
Martingale

Martingale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I run a Synergy SK-60 for my 280g display- happy to answer any questions you have. I'm a big fan of mine and their team has been wonderful throughout.

What return pumps do you have for your display?

What size are your two overflow drains? 1.5”?

Have you found it at all finicky having to change rolls with the two of them front to back as they are?

When you say you’re worried about not handling higher flow, what happens exactly? Is it triggering the custom float valve constantly?

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What return pumps do you have for your display?
Iwaki 100RLT

I have 2, but only run one (other is installed as backup). Keep in mind this is coming up from the basement and across the house.

What size are your two overflow drains? 1.5”?

1 inch each

After this summer I may also convert the pair of 3/4 returns to be drains as well and then have the returns come over the back instead (hidden by the canopy). We'll see.

Have you found it at all finicky having to change rolls with the two of them front to back as they are?
At first, absolutely.

But now what I do is super easy: When one roll is almost used up, staple the new roll to the existing one and just manually pull the new roll through. Then I cut off the piece with staples and I'm good to go. Takes less than a few minutes each roll change.

When you say you’re worried about not handling higher flow, what happens exactly? Is it triggering the custom float valve constantly?

There is a 'safety gap' between the overflow crash chamber and the rollermats. When water is coming in too fast for the mats to handle, the water overflows through the gap and bypasses the rollermats.

What seemed to happen to me is that the rollermats detect that it's constantly rolling and safety stop, making the water just run through that overflow gap instead. It actually works really well.

I will note that since I experimented with overflow volume, I cut out some of the teeth in the Clarisea pre-filter and noticed they ran much more consistently. I have not tried to push the limits with flow again since that mod.

DanP-SD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed a Synergy Reef SK-60 with two Clarisea 5000s. I haven’t plumbed the tank yet so I can’t comment on use yet but the build quality on the sump is very good. The mechanism for plumbing the rollers in is thoughtful. I have a minor issue getting one of the rollers lined up perfectly but it appears to me due to a manufacturing variance by Clarisea not Synergy. The holes for the drain pipe are not perfectly aligned. It does in but is slightly tilted.

OP
OP
Martingale

Martingale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Iwaki 100RLT

I have 2, but only run one (other is installed as backup). Keep in mind this is coming up from the basement and across the house.

1 inch each

After this summer I may also convert the pair of 3/4 returns to be drains as well and then have the returns come over the back instead (hidden by the canopy). We'll see.

At first, absolutely.

But now what I do is super easy: When one roll is almost used up, staple the new roll to the existing one and just manually pull the new roll through. Then I cut off the piece with staples and I'm good to go. Takes less than a few minutes each roll change.

There is a 'safety gap' between the overflow crash chamber and the rollermats. When water is coming in too fast for the mats to handle, the water overflows through the gap and bypasses the rollermats.

What seemed to happen to me is that the rollermats detect that it's constantly rolling and safety stop, making the water just run through that overflow gap instead. It actually works really well.

I will note that since I experimented with overflow volume, I cut out some of the teeth in the Clarisea pre-filter and noticed they ran much more consistently. I have not tried to push the limits with flow again since that mod.
Seems like it’ll work fine for me then as my tank is smaller at 180G and I’ll only be using two COR/Vectra pumps. I think I’ll probably get 1200GPH max, which should be less than the 1500-1800 you’re probably getting off one 100RLT

I have wondered by the reviews if a small power head or pump forcing water into the clarisea inlets would help at all? I imagine there’s only like an inch of space to do this, though.

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like it’ll work fine for me then as my tank is smaller at 180G and I’ll only be using two COR/Vectra pumps. I think I’ll probably get 1200GPH max, which should be less than the 1500-1800 you’re probably getting off one 100RLT
For a 180g, this sump is going to be amazing.

And just to clarify, I love the sump even for my 280g. I would buy it again 10 times out 10.

I have wondered by the reviews if a small power head or pump forcing water into the clarisea inlets would help at all? I imagine there’s only like an inch of space to do this, though.

I love the idea, but I don't think it's gonna make a material improvement in performance.

And you are right that the crash chamber is tight. You can get in there if you need to, but it's not easy, especially once the rollers are installed.

As noted above, I cut out some of the teeth of the Clarisea rollers and that did make a pretty significant improvement. With my current gph, they work really well and are a huge improvement over the socks I used on my last tank.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 106 43.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 117 47.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.3%
Back